Why AC analysis result doesn't agree with the transient result

Discussion in 'Cadence' started by Allen, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Allen

Allen Guest

I've done several transient and AC analysis simulations for a wideband
    amplifier we designed. However I got different results from two types
    of simulations. The AC analysis shows a much higher gain than
    transient does. Could anyone explain this? Thanks.

Best,
    Allen

Allen, Apr 13, 2007
  2. Allen

S. Badel Guest

I've done several transient and AC analysis simulations for a wideband
    AC simulation results depend on the operating point. Before AC is run, there's a DC simulation to
    determine the DC operating point, then, the circuit is linearized around that point. Linearization
    is an idealization, where your circuit is considered to be perfectly linear and it holds
    approximately as long as your signals are small enough.

During transient analysis, the signal swing may be large enough to shift the operating point, thus
    inducing effects such as what you describe. Also during transient, there's slew rates and other
    time-dependant effects that will affect the results.

In order to get the same results during AC and transient, the different stages of your amplifier
    would need to be perfectly linear over the whole dynamic range, which is probably not the case.
    However, if you apply slowly varying and very small amplitude signals, the results should agree in
    theory.

So, to make it short, what I'm suspecting is that it's due to limited linear range of your
    amplifier, and not to a wrong simulation setup... however in closed loop the linear range extends.

I'm no amplifier expert anyway, but hope this may help.

Good luck,

St¨¦phane

S. Badel, Apr 13, 2007
  3. Allen

Allen Guest

Hi St¨¦phane,
    It totally make sensen to me, I did some more simulations, the results
    proved your theory, thanks very much.

Best,
    Allen

Allen, Apr 15, 2007
Ask a Question