System Window

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by Gra-gra, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Gra-gra

Gra-gra Guest

Happy New Year to all.

Just wondering, does anyone have any useful ProE related commands that
    they use at the system window? I get the feeling it's a hangover from
    the good old days when people occasionally used a command prompt. The
    only time I use it is to purge the current folder, which I find
    useful, but are there any other commands in ProE?

Gra-gra, Jan 15, 2004
  2. Gra-gra

David Janes Guest

: Happy New Year to all.
    :
    : Just wondering, does anyone have any useful ProE related commands that
    : they use at the system window? I get the feeling it's a hangover from
    : the good old days when people occasionally used a command prompt. The
    : only time I use it is to purge the current folder, which I find
    : useful, but are there any other commands in ProE?

Whatever you can do with the system window, it is still a holdover from the 'good
    ole daze'. If it's worth doing, it ought to be integrated into the main program.
    Purge: aside from the fact that the whole file menu needs reworking and the file
    stucture simplifying, this function, basic to good file management, ought to long
    ago, have been made a file menu function, not a stinky batch file. Another one
    which missed the gui boat over the last 10 years is Pro/BATCH, also in the /bin
    directory (which points to the executable in my i486/obj directory called
    pro_batch.exe). Even if one wished to run this as a standalone tsr, it should
    start from the File menu and use a common gui interface with the main program. It
    reminds one that Pro/e has been around for the last 20 years, but seems to have
    entirely missed the GUI revolution of the last ten. Another one that you can run
    standalone from the command prompt is Pro/TABLE. Yet this program component, which
    was an insult to amateur, much less professional, programmers in the 80s and
    should have been dumped or fixed long ago, is somehow a mainstay of Pro/e. What
    you find through the system window is a trailer park garage sale, running under
    the banner of 'Estate Sale: Antiques'.

David Janes

David Janes, Jan 19, 2004
  3. Gra-gra

Gra-gra Guest

Yep, that Pro/TABLE was a pain in the butt back when I started on ProE
    8 years ago. What does Pro/BATCH do though? Something to do with
    plotting, isn't it?

Gra-gra, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Gra-gra

David Janes Guest

: > : > : Happy New Year to all.
    : > :
    : > : Just wondering, does anyone have any useful ProE related commands that
    : > : they use at the system window? I get the feeling it's a hangover from
    : > : the good old days when people occasionally used a command prompt. The
    : > : only time I use it is to purge the current folder, which I find
    : > : useful, but are there any other commands in ProE?
    : >
    : > Whatever you can do with the system window, it is still a holdover from the
    'good
    : > ole daze'. If it's worth doing, it ought to be integrated into the main
    program.
    : > Purge: aside from the fact that the whole file menu needs reworking and the
    file
    : > stucture simplifying, this function, basic to good file management, ought to
    long
    : > ago, have been made a file menu function, not a stinky batch file. Another one
    : > which missed the gui boat over the last 10 years is Pro/BATCH, also in the
    /bin
    : > directory (which points to the executable in my i486/obj directory called
    : > pro_batch.exe). Even if one wished to run this as a standalone tsr, it should
    : > start from the File menu and use a common gui interface with the main program.
    It
    : > reminds one that Pro/e has been around for the last 20 years, but seems to
    have
    : > entirely missed the GUI revolution of the last ten. Another one that you can
    run
    : > standalone from the command prompt is Pro/TABLE. Yet this program component,
    which
    : > was an insult to amateur, much less professional, programmers in the 80s and
    : > should have been dumped or fixed long ago, is somehow a mainstay of Pro/e.
    What
    : > you find through the system window is a trailer park garage sale, running
    under
    : > the banner of 'Estate Sale: Antiques'.
    : >
    : > David Janes
    :
    : Yep, that Pro/TABLE was a pain in the butt back when I started on ProE
    : 8 years ago. What does Pro/BATCH do though? Something to do with
    : plotting, isn't it?

Yeah, you know how, with Windows, you can tag a bunch of files, do Ctrl P and get
    them all to print. That's what Pro/BATCH does, with some added goodies, like
    scheduling. I think it's even gotten a gui interface in the last couple revs.
    Before, it was a pain just to create the list. Or you had to set up special
    directories, yada yada. I'm not sure if it was ever any use on Unix systems since
    they have their own way of queing plot jobs. The batch plot utility just made it
    possible to plot without the program loaded, supposing you could be confident
    enough of the system to have a reasonable hope of coming back in the morning and
    finding everything printed.

David Janes

David Janes, Jan 21, 2004
  5. Gra-gra

Gra-gra Guest

That sounds very optimistic to me!

Gra-gra, Jan 21, 2004
  6. The only usefull thing with the system window, i think, is programming.
    Since the standard versions of pro and wildfire have no programming
    utilities at all (unlike Solid Works for instance...), the only way of
    programming in pro is calling batch or some other script files that creates
    trail files, in the system window, which you call with mapkeys.

Grts, Gerard

Gerard van de Schoot, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Gra-gra

Alex Sh. Guest

Gerard,

1. Basic Pro/E (2000i2, 2001, Wildfire) has built-in free Java API (JLINK).
    So it does have a programming utility, arguably a better one than VB bundled
    into SolidWorks.
    2. Yes, the batch or other script file is about the only excuse left for the
    system window. Not that you need such workarounds anymore, but maybe as
    legacy code support...

Alex

Alex Sh., Jan 22, 2004
  8. Tnkx Alex, but programming in java isn't quite as easy, adjustable, and it's
    more time consuming compared with a script
    file. That's what i mean with it. (I haven't figured it out also...)

Gerard

Gerard van de Schoot, Jan 23, 2004
Ask a Question