Switching from QuickCAD to AutoSketch V9

Discussion in 'AutoSketch' started by Jcowan, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Jcowan

Jcowan Guest

I have just found out that Autodesk is no longer supporting the QuickCAD program and I am looking at what to shift to. We use it mainly for wiring diagrams with some light mechanical layout. We have been using Drafix/QuickCAD for about 10 years and have numerous drawings and symbols that we have made and do not want to lose and/or have to recreate them all. I have read quite a bit here and I think I know most of the issues but I do still have a few questions.

First will all the symbol libraries from QuickCAD transfer over to AutoSketch? Is there anything that needs to be done to them? Are they saved in a new format now and if so should they be changed to that format?

For the drawings I understand that AutoSketch saves them in it's own format, would it be best to convert all current drawings to that new format or continue to use the .CAD format?

I know about the problem of the .DWG drawings from AutoCAD and the model amd paper space issues. Is there a way to save a drawing in AutoCAD so that can be read in AutoSketch displaying both model and paper space?

Is the interface for AutoSketch similar to that for QuickCAD? How much of a learning curve will there be for the users? This includes both people who have used the QuickCAD for years and others who have just learned it.

Does AutoSketch allow for saving files as .JPG files like QuickCAD does?

Does AutoSketch support mechanical layout as QuickCAD did. We would lay out panels and boxes, convert the drawings to .DXF and send them to the machinists for them to do on the CNC machines. Will we still be able to do this?

We don't need AutoCAD LT for 99% of what we do and if we do need it we have a couple of engineers that have seats that can do that work for us. That being the case I need a drawing program that will be as close and exact replacement for QuickCAD as I can get to cut down on the lost time due to the change.

Thanks in advance for your help,

John

Jcowan, Nov 23, 2004
  2. Jcowan

Len Rafuse Guest

Jcowan wrote:

I use CAD format with AS 6.01 but would not advocate this. You will
    loose info if you do not save in SKF format.
    You would need to copy the paper space stuff in to model space and save
    it then scale it to fit your drawing.
    It is not slick but it does work.
    My understanding is that the interface is essentially the same. I have
    given advice to QuickCAD users for years based on my use of AutoSketch
    with out lots of "What are talking about."

AutoSketch is as close to QuickCAD as you can get.

Len Rafuse, Nov 23, 2004
Ask a Question