Smart picking?

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by meld_b, Aug 9, 2003.

1. meld_b

meld_b Guest

Can anyone help with how Wildfire is supposed to work with this "Smart"
    filter? It seems like if I want to edit a feature I've got like one shot
    at it... If I don't select just right I have to go to the Tree or change
    off of Smart to Feature and then it works like it ought (or used to in
    2001) Is there some trick to how stuff is changing color? I don't get it.

-Dan

meld_b, Aug 9, 2003
  2. meld_b

David Janes Guest

: Can anyone help with how Wildfire is supposed to work with this "Smart"
    : filter?

First of all, Dan, you'd probably be doing yourself a favor to go through the
    tutorial provided by PTC. Follow this link:
    http://www.ptc.com/community/proewf/newtools/selection.htm

Here are just some basics. The Smart filter lets you preselect and select anything
    ~ part, features, geometry. The whole trick is in preselection. If you can
    preselect it, you can pick it, left click to select. But, if the feature or
    geometry you want to select doesn't preselect, you can RMB click cycle through
    features and geometry in the area. This is a graphical Query select, but it only
    works on preselect. LMB click select only when the feature or geometry has
    highlighted in blue. I did an example of this in my post called 'Draft feature
    works'.

What if you're not sure what you've preselected? Wait a second and a label pops up
    with feature or geometry id tag. Also, at anytime in the preselect process, you
    can simply depress RMB to get an interactive menu. One of the menu items is 'Pick
    from list'. This is the old QS pick box. When you select from this list, the
    feature or geometry is selected and highlights in red.

There are some subtleties, however. The selection process is in branching tree
    format. That means that you can start at the top tree level (part) and work your
    way through feaures down to geometry. Selection through the Smart filter narrows
    down, the further in you go, but doesn't stop once you've picked, say, a feature.
    Picking a boss feature then gives you access to its geometry (surfaces, edges,
    vertices) and filters out other features and geometry. Or, rather than going
    deeper, you can RMB the popup menu for that selected feature/geometry to get your
    menu with edit, edit definition, info, etc.

BTW, the middle mouse button doesn't seem to play a role in this, except when you
    have something open with an OK, then it functions normally for accept. But,
    selection is done with the LMB.

David Janes

David Janes, Aug 9, 2003
Ask a Question