Save As won't work

Discussion in 'AutoSketch' started by Danizwhoiam, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Danizwhoiam

Danizwhoiam Guest

Hello,
    I've come across quite the quandary Anytime I attempt to use the "save as" feature, it doesn't work. The primary autosketch window becomes inactive as it normally would if the save as dialog box had popped up.. The pickle, pals, is that the window doesn't pop up. Ideas?

V8 w/ XP Pro

TIA
    Dan

Danizwhoiam, Jan 7, 2005
  2. Danizwhoiam

Harvey Guest

The program is corrupted. Reinstall, Dan. And lose the virus programs when you do.

If that doesn't correct the problem, get back here.

Harvey, Jan 8, 2005
  3. Danizwhoiam

Danizwhoiam Guest

I was afraid of that... ouch. Any idea what could have caused this? I'll try the reinstall once i look into backing up all my keyboard shortcuts and custom toolbars.

I wonder if the Sketch CD has a repair utility?

Danizwhoiam, Jan 10, 2005
  4. Danizwhoiam

Danizwhoiam Guest

No luck in discovering the cause of the corruption, but I figured I’d follow up on what I had to do for anyone who has this problem in the future and finds this post.

My first attempt was to look on the sketch CD for recovery/repair info. No dice.
    Second step was to go to the add/remove programs window and try the windows repair option (with the sketch CD in the drive). It appeared to repair something, but the problem remained.

What worked:

Open regedit (from the run window)
    SAVE your registry in case something goes wrong
    Go to current_users>software>autodesk>autosketch
    Right click on 8.0 and export it to your desktop
    Uninstall sketch
    Reinstall sketch
    Double click the desktop icon for your saved registry data
    Accept the prompt to add data
    Restart autosketch – it’s as though the problem never existed, and you still have all your custom stuff.

If anyone finds out the cause, please let me know. If not, at least it’s worked out now.

Dan

Danizwhoiam, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Thanks for the info - that's nice to know, I didn't realise that you could
    export parts of the registry like that

AngryofMayfair, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Danizwhoiam

Danizwhoiam Guest

No problem. I back up the aforementioned every so often, just in case. I heard how to do it here first though :)

I'd still like to know what could have caused the program to corrupt. *shrug*

Danizwhoiam, Jan 12, 2005
  7. Danizwhoiam

Len Rafuse Guest

I wonder if the Save as dialog box was somehow off the screen?

I was playing around with different monitors, settings and 1 vs. 2
    monitors about a year ago and ran into a problem like this with a couple
    of programs.

Len Rafuse, Jan 14, 2005
  8. Danizwhoiam

Danizwhoiam Guest

Though it's possible, I truly doubt it. I've had that problem before, and as a result I max'd the resolution of both monitors to see if it snuck off somewhere. If it was moved, it was moved far - I've always had the increase resolution trick work in the past.

Danizwhoiam, Jan 18, 2005
Ask a Question