Rotating Views for drafting elevations in 2D

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by andy drafter, Dec 7, 2004.

1. andy drafter

andy drafter Guest

This is a follow up on the "NOT Rotating Gridlines" from last week. OLD Cadaver's method works the simplest for rotating a view without rotating objects.

Thanks.

There was a lot of discussion on why I would want to rotate a 2D drawing and this made me think about how other's set up their 2D architectural/structural drawings.

The main reason I rotate my view (view not objects) is for pulling lines off a plan view to generate elevations on 4 sides of that plan view. Same with sections and interior elevations. I think even Old Cadaver would rotate the view to produce elevation drawings if he drafts them like I do. But he probably doesn't. I got the feeling that I may draft elevations and sections different than most others also.

I try to draw most of my building information in one master file and then extract that information into other files for site plan, floorplans, elevations, sections, reflected ceiling plans, structural etc.

I like to "build" in this master file mostly. This enables me to make the invariably required changes mostly in one place (not always, but mostly). Even though I have a ton of information in one place I have worked out a layering scheme that enables me to flip on and off what I'm working on so I don't drive myself nuts. This is just for building information, not for plotting, labeling, or presentation.

For a floor plan (for example) I have a separate file that I put the sheet labels and sheet titles in paperspace and xref in a titleblock with global information into paperspace also.

I then xref in my "building master file" into model space and turn on and off layers as needed.

For structural drawings I tend to "build" in a secondary file over the xrefed "building master file"(usually just walls) and then freeze on or and off objects in viewports in paperspace to extract the information I need. This enables me to build a floor framing plan, shearwall plan, roof framing plan, all in one place so I know if everything is lining up and if not can change it in one place.

I'm curious what others think of this system. I've read threads debating whether to dimension in paperspace or put "building" annotation text in paperspace. I like to have it in the same file as the "building" model so when that changes the annotation is right there to change also.

I also read last week that someone draws their elevations in a second file. That seems like a hassle for updating. I have gotten pretty fast at rotating viewports in paperspace so I can have all my elevations generated from one "building master" file and then extract that information in secondary files.

What are some other methods?

andy drafter, Dec 7, 2004
  2. andy drafter

OLD-CADaver Guest

You're quite right, I don't draw elevations like that, we do exclusively 3D, so there's no need for the extra steps.

But even in my 2D days, I drew elevations with the higher elevations towards the top of the drawing sheet and not radiating from the plan like spokes in a wheel. But hey, whatever gets the check signed, I guess.

As for building a master file with everything in it, our constructions are much too complex and much too large for that. We'll have 40-50 designers working in 5 different disciplines (10 sub d's) on several thousand drawings for one project. So we rely heavily on XREF's for backgrounds, cross-discipline communication, interference checking, and a host of other construction aids.

OLD-CADaver, Dec 7, 2004
  3. andy drafter

andy drafter Guest

"But even in my 2D days, I drew elevations with the higher elevations towards the top of the drawing sheet and not radiating from the plan like spokes"

Can you explain how you got this information off the plan? Did you start at the "spoke" and then move it to another part of the drawing? I don't understand.

andy drafter, Dec 8, 2004
  4. andy drafter

OLD-CADaver Guest

For what we do, very little of the data in the plan is repeated in the elevation, the reason for the elevation is to show those elements that can't be seen in plan.

OLD-CADaver, Dec 8, 2004
  5. One method I have seen is to have your plan in one drawing and xref it into
    the drawing you are using for the elevations. Copy and rotate this XREF for
    each view (front left, right, and back usually) and draw all your elevations
    pulling plan information down from them. Line up all your elevations
    horizontally so that height elements can be pulled accross from other
    elevations.

Casey

towards the top of the drawing sheet and not radiating from the plan like
    spokes"
    at the "spoke" and then move it to another part of the drawing? I don't
    understand.

Casey Roberts, Dec 9, 2004
  6. andy drafter

KLYPH Guest

Andy, I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in your method of placing the elevations around the floor plan. For smaller jobs, which involve only one architect, like a house, I like to have all of the info in one file, like you.
    To illustrate to those not familiar with this method, I place all of the plans (basement, 1st Floor, 2nd Floor, Roof) right on top of each other and then radiate the exterior elevations and sections around these plans. Then, as an example, if I want to stretch the house 1 foot to the left, I just window-cross all the floor, sections, & elevations (excluding the right) and stretch. All of the plans and elevations are updated in one operation.
    It is a wonderful method for small jobs and the viewports in Paper Space can handle the different layers to show the desired Plan or Elevation or Section.
    Radiating the elevations around the plan is not a new method. I started using it 30 years ago on the drawing board with a T-square. Back then, stretching would involve "Taping & Cutting."
    Read Ya Later -KLYPH

KLYPH, Dec 9, 2004
  7. Also, this method allows you to mirror the right elevation and edit it for
    the left elevation, and also mirror the front and edit it for the rear. This
    is really a time saver.

Dianne Shelbrack, Dec 9, 2004
  8. andy drafter

teiarch Guest

KLYPH: Tried your method of putting one plan on top of another a few times. For making changes (i.e. stretching objects, etc.) it works great BUT some of my clients freaked out so I had to resort to putting each plan an exact distance in the Y direction above the previous one.

Your method of "stacking floor plans" requires keen layer management that most people can't handle, unfortunately.

Doing 3D elevations with the first floor at Z=100' has some advantages you might wish to explore some time......

teiarch, Dec 10, 2004
  9. andy drafter

KLYPH Guest

"Keen layer management" is no easy task. I found that if I start each set of layers with the letter or digit which corresponds to its level, I can group freeze or thaw as needed. For example: the F-wall-exst refers to the Foundation. B-wall-exst with existing Basement walls. 1-wall-exst with 1st Floor. 2-wall-exst with 2nd Floor. R-surf-pattern with the Roof. E-W-elev for the West Elevation. E-S-elev for the South Elevation and so on. You get the idea. That way, not only can you group freeze/thaw on the command line, the groups are listed together in the Layer Display and are easily selected for the Layer Manager grouping.
    But, I admit that it isn't always that easy. Like I had said, I use it for small projects. I am currently working on a Middle School set of plans in which I have the 2nd Level located 1000 ft. in the Y-direction than the 1st Level. That way, while zoomed in on the 1st Level, I can send a copy of something to the 2nd Level by sending the copy 1000 ft in the Y-direction.
    The real way to do it is in 3-D as OLD-CADaver had mentioned. But, if clients can't cope with levels on top of one another, they probably can't cope with 3-D.
    Read Ya Later -KLYPH

KLYPH, Dec 10, 2004
Ask a Question