Recommend a program for a newbe?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Heirloom Windows, May 7, 2020.

1. Heirloom Windows

Heirloom Windows

I build windows for historic properties. I've been using Corel for years to 2D design the windows, often with a front and side view. A top view might be helpful also. I find myself recreating the same shop drawings over and over with the only differences being the overall dimensions and occasionally different stile and rail thicknesses. I'm guessing in CAD I could create a library of components, with their variables and just specify the overall dimensions then simply input the H & W and the program would do the rest of the drawing automatically.

As a matter of fact I currently store all the dimensional properties in MS Access and generate my cut lists from there. I just purchased a new CNC machine that will do most of the operations but I need to create the drawings first then apply the tool paths. I'm guessing this might all be automated.

Can you recommend a program that will do these things and not a lot more. This functionality is probably found in the most basic programs and I'd rather not have a lot of bells and whistles and thus steepen the learning curve. It's just myself using.

Cheers!

Heirloom Windows, May 7, 2020
Ask a Question