Problem with File Server Print Queue

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by Anchor Engineering, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Hi,

We are running Windows 2000 Server with a DesignJet 700 and DesignJet 1055CM connected. They can be accessed by any computer in the office.

Problem with File Server Print Queue:
    The problem we are experiencing with the print queue happens to all printer devices, but is more noticeable on the HP1055cm plotter is because the 1055 plotter tends to have larger plot files with more quantity of plots from various users. I'm not exactly sure how the file server print queue transmits data, but I have noticed that when there is a large quantity of plots in the print queue and the plotter memory fills up with data (plot files) to it's capacity (lets say 12 mb), and the plots take an average of 2 minutes to process, the print queue still wants to send the files to the plotter were the files in memory are not exiting fast enough. So the file server print queue send out a warning that there is an error (see first link below). I'm not sure but you would think that a time-out setting is set to a low number or something of that nature.

http://www.snworks.com/anchor/printspooler.jpg

I configured the Print Spooler Services under the "control panel\administrative tools\services" on the file server (see below) to restart the service after each failure. I'm not sure if restarting the service after the third failure and set the first two to "take no action", where maybe a timer issue would pass the error sooner.

http://www.snworks.com/anchor/spooler_properties.jpg

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered :)

Anchor Engineering, Jun 23, 2004
  2. anybody? :)

Anchor Engineering, Jun 24, 2004
  3. Anchor Engineering

Terry Drewes Guest

Are the plotters on the LAN or connected directly to the server? If not
    on the LAN, I would recommend hp jetdirect nics in each to be on the
    LAN. Also, max out plotters RAM for cheap $. I don't think the problem
    is with the plotters per se, apart from a LAN nic and max memory, rather
    a problem with the print queue itself. Maybe the queue on the file
    server is running out of disk space... you might consider moving it to
    another partition or another server. Check you server's C: for space...
    you can chuck the i386 folder, since it's just a backup of files... and
    I would chuck all the $installed hidden patches out of the temp
    folder... to free up space.

Latest SP for server? Latest drivers for plotters on server? Latest
    firmware patch in plotters VRAM?

Ciao!
    ~Terry

Terry Drewes, Jun 28, 2004
  4. Terry-

The plotters are on the LAN. Maxing out the RAM might not be a bad idea, but should be a last resort, because it isn' t truly a fix to the problem but only a workaround (that may only work to a certain extent)

There is plenty space on all Hard drive partitions for the server. All latest patches, Service packs, firmware, etc.

Anybody else feel free to make suggestions. I may end up having to buy more RAM

Anchor Engineering, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Anchor Engineering

b_thurlo Guest

We have the exact same thing just with our HP 1050cs.
    It seems like it happens if there are more than one large (more than 10MB) plots going to the queue.
    What I did, is on the client side I opened their printer folder. Went to File, Server Properties. Clicked on the advanced tab and unchecked "show informational notifications for network printers". The error still occurs but they don't get notified of it.
    We are using a 2003 server and the built in HP printer drivers. I have no idea why this happens and I've done a lot of troubleshooting on it.

Betsey

b_thurlo, Jul 2, 2004
  6. Betsey-

Thanks for your reply. I called HP yesterday, and the told me to try this:

On your print server, go to the printers folder. Right click the plotter, and choose Printing Preferences. Click the "advanced" tab. Select "In computer" instead of "in printer." I tried it yesterday and haven''t had any problems from the staff yet (I'm the IT guy). However I don't know if its because they simply haven't printed out a large quantity of plots all at once yet.

The guy from HP said that if this doesn't work, then we will need to scap the print server, and have each machine connect directly to the ip of the plotter, and all print spooling done on each individual machine. I've got my fingers crossed for the above fix though. Let me know how it works for you.

-Alex

Anchor Engineering, Jul 2, 2004
Ask a Question