New to CAD and need to be pointed in the right direction.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by abeslegs, Jul 29, 2020.

1. abeslegs

abeslegs

Hi Forum Members...I'm a woodworker/artist who would like to take advantage of the wonders of CAD. I have made a mock-up of wooden coffee table base that I would like to scale to full size and make. The woodworking technique involves stack laminating many layers of 3/4" plywood to create the full scale version of my little model. I will then carve, grind and sand this table base down to its final shape. Its essentially an open and very organic wood sculpture. I have managed to scan the small scale model using Qlone and can create an .stl file (or other options) for use in a CAD program. My goal is to virtually scale the object to full size and then take horizontal 3/4" thick slices of the object with the purpose of being able to create patterns that I can use to cut out the wood from sheet plywood and gradually build this table base layer by layer. The purpose is to minimize wood waste and also the amount of time and effort it takes to get to the final shape. As you can see from the uploaded file......it's a very open and organic shape.

So here's my question.......What CAD program would you recommend me to use that will allow me to take this 3D object and scale it to full size......cut it into (22) 3/4" thick virtual horizontal slices ...and then in a 2D way.......show me the size and shape of the layers of individual wood pieces that I will have to cut and glue together to make this into a full size table base. Is it possible to create a 2D file that I can walk over to print shop and have them print out all the pieces for the layers of this wooden puzzle?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

abeslegs, Jul 29, 2020
Ask a Question