Need help with format

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by Aleksandar Mandic, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Hi all,

I am trying to make the new formats for my company (paper sizes from A4 to
    A0) using the Empty with section option in the New format dialog box. I made
    all sections for those formats in sketcher enviroment and have those
    sections saved on disk But, the problem apears with new format size after
    using section diferent then A3. The format size is allways A3 regardless of
    the section size. The question is: Is there any parametar which could
    control the size of newly created format with Empty with section option
    used. Has enyone expirienced this problem before?
    In my opinion, size of the section outline sould control the format size..
    but actualy Pro/E doesn' t work on this way.
    I am using Wildfire.

Thanks for any help,

Aleksandar

Aleksandar Mandic, Oct 25, 2003
  2. Aleksandar Mandic

David Janes Guest

: Hi all,
    :
    : I am trying to make the new formats for my company (paper sizes from A4 to
    : A0) using the Empty with section option in the New format dialog box. I made
    : all sections for those formats in sketcher enviroment and have those
    : sections saved on disk But, the problem apears with new format size after
    : using section diferent then A3. The format size is allways A3 regardless of
    : the section size.

This is one of the ways you should be able to do it. But since you are having
    trouble, may I suggest a way to check out your sections, just to see if there
    might be a problem with them. First, forget the 'Empty with section' option and
    just create the format from the 'Empty' option. Select a format size for which you
    have a section. Click OK, then, from the menu bar, select 'Insert>Shared data' and
    select the appropriate section drawing. If it is the correct size for the format,
    it should place with no problem. If there is some kind of size problem, it will
    inform you that the section does not fit in the format and ask you if you want to
    scale it. If you get this with any section besides A3, there is some other
    problem, possibly the section itself or a problem with units conversion or a
    default format file in another system of units. Also, check draft_scale in
    config.pro options, set to between .75 and .9, then try to insert the section
    again.

Other things to check:
    * Check the units in the file referred to in format_setup_file; make sure units
    consistent with units in part, section and drawing. Threre is no end to problems
    form conflicting units settings because Pro/e does not understand translating
    units unless you tell it to, i.e., 'Setup>Units';
    * Set draft_scale in this setup file between .8 to .9 which applies only to the
    format itself;
    * Remember that outside border of format is paper size (portrait orientation,
    in mms):
    A4=210 X 297
    A3=297 X 420
    A2=420 X 594
    A1=594 X 841
    A0= 841 X 1189
    Notice that the long side becomes the short side in the next larger format while
    the short side doubles. The section drawings must be smaller than paper size,
    generally inside a printing margin, to be placed properly. (I'm sure someone out
    there can explain why the aspect ratio (h/w) stays about .707 for all of them.)

An alternative is to create the format 'empty' but of a definite size, then to
    draft the outline, using the 'Sketch' and 'Edit' functions built into the format
    editor. These are adequate to the task of drawing borders and boxes. And, if you
    turn on 'Parametric' sketching and 'chain' lines, you can create your formats with
    fair ease. There is the added advantage of sketcher preferences which allow
    snapping by a variety of constraints and a sketch grid, available under
    'View>Draft grid'. The interface allows you to turn the grid on or off, set
    spacing, origin, etc. With sketcher preferences, you have a nice imitation of
    graph paper and grid-type snap-to points. Add to that, 'Edit>Trim', 'Transform'
    and a couple other tools under 'Edit', and you have a nice little format drawing
    package. I really think that drawing right on the format is unbeatable.

David Janes

David Janes, Oct 26, 2003
Ask a Question