MIssing Layer in V8 When opening DWG 2000 File

Discussion in 'AutoSketch' started by davejunk, Jul 27, 2004.

1. davejunk

davejunk Guest

When I open a particular AutoCad 2000 DWG File in ASK V8, there is one layer that does not display at all. I can edit the layer's properties under graphic options (e.g. color, thickness), but it still does not display the layer. When I open the file with Visio 2000 the layer is there. This only happens with one layer, the rest are displayed correctly. Any ideas?

-Dave

davejunk, Jul 27, 2004
  2. davejunk

Len Rafuse Guest

I assume it not a color issue - color of lines same as background.

TRying exploding everything on that layer and see if it transfer in.

Do you have access to AutoCAD 2000?

Len Rafuse, Jul 28, 2004
  3. davejunk

davejunk Guest

Unfortunately, I do not have access to AutoCad2000, which is why I am using AutoSketch. However, I think I have narrowed down the problem. I'm pretty sure the issue is not with the layer being hidden, but the custom symbols (or entities?) within the layer. The only items in the layer are custom symbols. If I click where the symbol is supposed to be on the drawing, it actually selects the invisible symbol. I can then look at the properties for that missing symbol. It is a custom defined symbol in the autocad2000 file, could that have anything to do why it is not showing up?

davejunk, Jul 29, 2004
  4. davejunk

Len Rafuse Guest

I would think it would still show up.

The symbol could be set to color by layer and the layer color may be the
    same as the back ground color. You can try changing the layer color.

If you can select it, explode it and see what happens.

If that does not work, Have them explode everything on that layer and
    see if comes through.

Or have them send you a DXF.

Len Rafuse, Jul 29, 2004
  5. davejunk

davejunk Guest

When I try to explode the symbol, it says that it cannot be exploded any further. I don't see an option where I can change the selection color, only the layer color. However, when I click on the layer properties and look at the color, it specifies gray (By-layer). I don't understand how this is possible. How can a layer's color be "By Layer" Could it be a sub layer or something? I guess I could request the file be sent to me as a DXF.

davejunk, Jul 29, 2004
Ask a Question