Looking for any information on a plastic Butterfly hinge design

Discussion in 'SolidWorks' started by ljedik, Jun 20, 2006.

  1. ljedik

    ljedik Guest

    I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any information or specifications
    for a typical Butterfly hinge. I'm looking for any patents, design
    drawings, or contacts in the industry that can help me in designing
    this style hinge. This hinge can be seen on may plastic hinged parts
    such as flip top caps on Shampoos or lotion bottles or other cosmetic
    containers. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Larry Jedik
    Currier Plastics Inc
    Design Engineer
    ljedik, Jun 20, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. ljedik

    jjs Guest

    I know these as 'living' hinges, so a google search on this should
    throw up something.

    http://www.efunda.com/DesignStandards/plastic_design/hinge.cfm gives a
    quick start.


    jjs, Jun 20, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. ljedik

    Muggs Guest

    Hello Larry,

    I call these "Living Hinges" and I have a SW example of one. If you would
    like the example just email me @ :

    Just take out the trash.

    Muggs, Jun 20, 2006
  4. ljedik

    ljedik Guest

    Actually, the Butterfly hinge is in the family of the Living Hinge but
    a different variation. I have designed in many living hinges and have
    thoose specifications. I am looking for a peticular style that is
    refered to as the "Butterfly Hinge" which has two wings on either side
    of the living hinge which creates a snapping action on the closing
    portion of the lid.
    ljedik, Jun 20, 2006
  5. ljedik

    Montie Guest

    Design of living hinges is heavily driven by choice of material and by
    the number of times the hinge is exercised. If you go to the GE
    Plastics website, there is a design guide that has information on
    designing living hinges. That is the best resource for that (at least
    that I know of).

    Montie Design
    Montie, Jun 20, 2006
  6. ljedik

    Bo Guest

    I've also been looking at living hinge issues including "flip top" type
    designs, some of which are patented.

    check the www.uspto.gov and learn how to do the advanced searches on
    Class-Subclass so you can see all the patents in a given area.

    Check out the following:

    Class 220-827
    Class 220-838
    Class 220-839

    I know I have more info around and downloaded patents, but they are for
    other purposes than bottle cap type functions.

    It takes munging around the patent office files to find a relevant
    patent and then search for patents that reference that patent later in
    addition to those referenced in the patent from before and also
    checking out the other patents in all the referenced Class-Subclasses
    for that & similar relevant patents.

    Bo, Jun 20, 2006
  7. ljedik

    jjs Guest

    Well I learn something everyday. Sounds like a detailed design which
    people won't want to make public.

    As for patents - good luck with the searches but be aware that people
    make a habit of trying to file the patents in the most obscure
    catorgories, and that using a patent atterney to do the search at
    least gives you some protection when you infringe.


    jjs, Jun 21, 2006
  8. ljedik

    Bo Guest

    Actually, many shampoo bottles and similar consumer one piece flip-top
    plastic caps use these types of bi-stable hinges.

    The hardest and most unknown area of searching is for things NOT
    patented which will also be "prior art", and foreign patents which are
    less easily obtainable and usually require a small fee to get a copy.
    You can get a start on this avenue from:


    The use of searches based on Class-Subclass in the patent office is the
    way you search on a specific catagory, in spite of what the inventor
    used as a name for the patent.

    Once you get a specific relevant patent, you can then looked at the
    referenced patents at the time of its issuance, and then ALSO search
    for any patent that referenced that patent after that time up to today
    with the Advanced search functions at the USPTO.gov reachable from this
    page for free:


    Bo, Jun 21, 2006
  9. ljedik

    Bo Guest

    Also look at a japanese company with a new uniques flip-cap


    Bo, Jun 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.