Logic Behind AIA Standard Color Based Plotting

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by Rafael Alvarez, Apr 24, 2004.

1. What is the logic behind using all 255 colors available in the color table
    for the AIA Standard CTB file?

The linewieghts repeat, with a few exceptions at the beginning and at the
    end, for a total of 14 discrete color combinations when you count the
    screened colors separately.

Why not just use 14 colors and simplify everybody's life? I know it is to
    comply with the Tri-Services Plotting guidelines. However, what do these
    guidelines accomplish? I have yet to see drawings from other disciplines
    adhere to this color scheme.

I think the idea of the Tri-Services guidelines was to use one color table
    for all disciplines, but that never happens. The cad managers at each office
    end up using just a few colors to simplify the use of lineweights for their
    users, and so they end up using colors 1 through 8 or 1 through 16. Do we
    really need this complexity? (especially if it goes unused...)

I know we could use Style based plotting but that is yet another change that
    will confuse users. Could somebody please explain the use of STB's in terms
    of a real life workflow versus CTB's. Thanks in advance.

Rafael Alvarez, Apr 24, 2004
  2. Rafael Alvarez

ganglywrench Guest

Rafael,

From my 12 or so years using AutoCad, from R10 to 2005, I have had the same question many times. When STBs cam about I was very excited. No longer did my users have to pick a color the could pick a style. This meant that any color could be used and it did not effect plotting. I have about a dozen styles set-up for each user, but after that they can do what they want.

It just makes it easier for the newer user that understands paper drafting to switch to cad, regarding plotting what they want.

My biggest issue with CTBs is that if we have a project with up to 40 or 50 subcontractors, this often happens, I have to set up new templates for everyone so they can use each vendors xrefs and not have the line weights all messed up. I spend too much time searching drawings that have multiple vendors xrefs and finding just the right color combination for a correctly plotted print. STBs make this change so much easier. I can tell my draftsperson to just set all of the layers of a nested xref to "light" or "very light" and the problem is solved and I do not have to run to each station and trouble shot all day.

Matt
    Big Show
    New York

ganglywrench, May 3, 2004
Ask a Question