layers rel 2001

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by dakeb, Nov 20, 2003.

1. dakeb

dakeb Guest

I'm trying to get my head round layers. I have a drawing with no layers in
    it. My new installation of ProE came without default layers set up in the
    config.pro. I want to put all the dimensions on a layer. I have created a
    default layer in config.pro called layer_dim. Now I want to make all the
    dimensions in the drawing appear on that layer without adding them one by
    one. I tried selecting layer properties, and ticking every laer type listed
    that relates to dimensions, but nothing appears on that layer still. What am
    I doing wrong?

dakeb, Nov 20, 2003
  2. dakeb

David Janes Guest

: I'm trying to get my head round layers. I have a drawing with no layers in
    : it. My new installation of ProE came without default layers set up in the
    : config.pro. I want to put all the dimensions on a layer. I have created a
    : default layer in config.pro called layer_dim. Now I want to make all the
    : dimensions in the drawing appear on that layer without adding them one by
    : one. I tried selecting layer properties, and ticking every laer type listed
    : that relates to dimensions, but nothing appears on that layer still. What am
    : I doing wrong?
    :
    It would be nice, I guess, if you could put DEF_LAYER layer_type layer_name in
    config.pro and all the appropriate features would be automatically added to the
    part/assembly/drawing we were working on at the time. In fact, it would be nice if
    you'd open anything you'd ever created and it would have this new default layer
    with all the appropriate features added to it. But, alas, it doesn't work that
    way. As with many options in config.pro, the layer definition is forward acting,
    not backward. This is because it is simply a list, independent of regeneration,
    created at the time the feature is created. If a layer exists on which to list the
    feature, it is added there. But, you can add layers, delete layers, add features
    to layers: it does not affect nor is this effected by regeneration. Consequently,
    there is no way to get stuff added to layers nor layers added to parts,
    automatically, after the fact. What you've done will be good for future
    parts/assemblies/drawings, but has no effect on what already exists.

However, rather than adding DEF_LAYER to config.pro, I'd advocate using start
    parts/assemblies/drawing, aka, templates, to accomplish standardized, consistent,
    corporate managed data bases. The ones that Pro/e comes with have default layers
    which automatically add datum features, surfaces, etc. to them. These templates
    can be modified to add other layers for automatic inclusion of such items as
    dimensions. PTC seems to be favoring this method, as opposed to DEF_LAYER in
    config.pro, for several reasons:
    * Reducing the whole function of managing layers to a line in config.pro
    didn't allow much way to manage the process. It was pretty flat and lifeless;
    * The obvious advantage of templates for assuring uniform and consistent
    practice; with config.pros all over the place, anyone can add, change or delete
    layers at will. Users get very creative with layers and they suddenly abound;
    * Fiddling with layer properties in a part can change the way features are
    subsequently handled, but only in that part. It has no effect on future parts;
    * Layers start to accumulate, and by the time they get to the drawing, there
    are at least three levels of them, from the parts, sub- and main-assemblies and
    from the drawing itself. DEF_LAYER named them all the same, so there was never any
    way to tell them apart, making layer management at higher levels
    (assembly/drawing) a sledge hammer affair: all on or all off, because there was no
    way to differentiate one level from another. Templates, on the other hand, have
    layers identified by what type of object they inhabit;
    * Default layer types have developed a level of variety and sophistication
    which DEF_LAYER was never meant to capture; start parts have no problem
    encompassing both;
    * The template approach develops enough consistency to pass ModelCHECK,
    assuring a certain level of corporate standardization.

David Janes

David Janes, Nov 20, 2003
  3. dakeb

dakeb Guest

Thanks for the detailed explanation David. Start part seems the way to go.
    I'll get our administrator to modify ours to include layers.

dakeb, Nov 21, 2003
Ask a Question