Layer display status was not saved

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by Aggrevated, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Aggrevated

Aggrevated Guest

I hate having to re-hide all my curves when I load a file. Why
    doesn't it save the layer display status?

Where's the checkbox/option to turn this on?

Aggrevated, Jul 3, 2007
  2. Get your layers set correctly, then in the layer tree right-click on the
    top item and choose "Save Status".

Now what gets frustrating is when you come across the odd drawing where
    it doesn't provide the Save Status option. Fortunately I find in that
    case that you can hide another layer, Save Status, then unhide that
    extra layer and save status again.

Dave

David Geesaman, Jul 3, 2007
  3. Aggrevated

David Janes Guest

Get your layers set correctly, then in the layer tree right-click on the
    top item and choose "Save Status".

Now what gets frustrating is when you come across the odd drawing where
    it doesn't provide the Save Status option. Fortunately I find in that
    case that you can hide another layer, Save Status, then unhide that
    extra layer and save status again.

Dave
    Good tips, Dave! Another is to, kinda, rub everyone's nose in the fact that this is NOT a Windows program; everything "good" or "bad", loved or hated, came from Unix where the programmer was king and every user was OBLIGED, to some extent, to be a programmer. Or at least to approach the program from the standpoint of the programmer/system administrator, and learn their functions/skills, as well as those of the designer. Wildfire gets somewhat away from that, but layers are still the old style approach where nothing's automatic, and, certainly, not just by setting it, on screen, in session. Same way with Model Tree settings, 'Tools>Options' settings and a host of others that must be deliberately saved to some kind of ASCII file (and were always available and editable from outside of Pro/e). So, unlike Windows, nothing gets saved automatically or universally. Not only doesn't it save settings, like layer display status, automatically, but it may save it differently based on location/project/folder/directory. Pro/e is one of the most irritatingly configurable programs I've ever run across and hardly any easy check boxes with simple explanations next to them. Mostly it's 'you can choose between these four options but their result may be modified by these other options and, if you choose option C, then option X may be an additional modifier'. And you can't tell what any of them do, meaning, you need to go to PTCU and get a degree in Pro/e configuration. Which, for a hefty price tag, is available.

The advantage, though, of this setup is this: modify something accidentally and it doesn't get changed accidentally. Modify something and hope it is just temporary and, viola, it is just temporary!! Only Windows users who expect that every change will be recorded and made permanent, willy-nilly, will be disappointed. But, let's weigh whose diappointment is greater: that of the one who must repeat what he's already done; or that of the one who must remember what was done and try to undo it. You were disappointed that it didn't stick, automatically. Now that you've made it stick, you have an added dimension: you can change layer display, to your heart's content, but not worry about it becoming permanent. Manipulate layer display like crazy and all of it is temporary, by session and not visible when the next session starts. All the layers you made 'hidden' remain so, unless someone pressed 'Save Status' and, in that case, the new status will be saved with the part. Otherwise, all layers are 'off' except on a temporary basis, by session.

David Janes

David Janes, Jul 4, 2007
Ask a Question