Kip 6000 vs. Xerox 510 vs. Oce TDS 600

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by Chewboy, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Chewboy

Chewboy Guest

Hello all!

Just wanted to get the latest opinions on the Kip 6000, Xerox 510 and the Oce TDS 600.

We're looking to purchase one of these machines in the near future. What has your experience with these machines on the latest (2004, 2005) releases of AutoCAD or ADT? Have there been any real big issues?

I see the thread from a couple of days ago that Jason Hickey has been having problems with the Oce TDS 600 and AutoCAD 2000. Does this issue still exist in 2004 or 2005?

Has anyone had any problems with transparent grayscales and lines merging? This always seems to come up with printers.

How about raster images? Can a scan be printed without any conversion and have it appear correct? (black lines on white background)

I recently heard a rumor that Xerox is discontinuing the 510dp and quite possibly their entire line of wide format printers. Has anyone else heard this?

Any comments, large or small, would be helpful.

Thank you.

Matthew Kyle
    KEPHART

Chewboy, Apr 27, 2004
  2. Chewboy

Jason Hickey Guest

Chewboy thought for a minute, then typed the following:

Our problem was fixed in a matter of a few hours (once we convinced the tech
    support guy what we wanted to do). Once that minor hump was cleared, it's
    been smooth sailing. All "upgrading" glitches aside, we're very impressed
    with the Oce line. Our upgrade path has been Xerox>KIP>Oce. We've
    stepped up significantly each time. I'd strongly endorse the Oce over the
    KIP.

--
    Jason Hickey

Goodwyn, Mills, and Cawood, Inc.
    1102 South 20th Street
    Birmingham, Alabama, 35205
    (205) 879-4462
    www.gmcnetwork.com
    (Take me out to reply)

Jason Hickey, Apr 27, 2004
  3. Chewboy

ChrisL Guest

I'm looking into the xerox 510 and the OCE' TDS400 I would like to know some info as well. I used the OCE' 9600 (TDS600) at my previous place of employment, and as Jason Hickey stated after getting past the first few humps it was a smooth sailing hi preformer. The speed was amazing... I'm pushing for the Oce' for my new place of employment since I've used it before, but I'm also ignorant about the others out there, and how they preform. Any guidance would be great

ChrisL, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Chewboy

ecable Guest

We have a KIP 8000 and it is great. 70,000 sq ft a month and it never missis a lick. I looked at Oce and Zerox and their software for plotting was not nearly as good as the KIP Powerprint software. Also when comparing service contract prices KIP was the cheapest (KIP America is just down the street).

ecable, Apr 30, 2004
  5. Chewboy

gilbert Guest

Hi

What does the Oce do better than the KIP?
    thanks
    Gil

gilbert, May 3, 2004
  6. Chewboy

JamesWaukWI Guest

I used to work at a Repro shop so I have experience with an Oce 9800, an Oce 9600 (not the TDS 600 but an older model) and a KIP 6000. The Oce's do put out better quality prints and are generally more reliable. But they are also more expensive and more difficult to service.
    I think that you have to pay for the use of the Oce software and it can only be used on that one machine, unless you buy multiple copies. KIP on the other hand gives you the software and you can load it on any machine. The server software also let's you create PDF's. That's an expensive upgrade for the Oce' software.
    We have a KIP 6000 here and it's pretty reliable. When something does go wrong it's fixed pretty quick.
    I don't think that either one is a bad decision. Personally I think that the KIP is the better decision because of the cost.

James Sisson
    Systems Manager
    Welman Architects

JamesWaukWI, Jun 23, 2004
  7. Chewboy

nickc_11 Guest

I would strongly recommend the KIP. The software package you get for submitting and scanning prints is far better than anything OCE or Xerox has to offer. The plotter itself has better technology, resulting in lower operating costs(monocomponent toner being the main one). The KIP6000 also has drivers specifically designed for Autocad2004 and 2005, and it works great.
    As long as your service tech stays up on the preventative maintenance, you will be very satisfied with the KIP machine.

nickc_11, Jul 8, 2004
Ask a Question