Is there a SQUIGGLE tool ?

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by MONCIA, May 19, 2004.

1. MONCIA

MONCIA Guest

Hi Everyone.
    Does anyone know if there is a Squiggle tool in AutoCAD or a tool which will give me a wavier or loose line. I am interested in creating a drawing which feels less precise and loose, maybe even with the characteristics of a hand-drawn drawing. Is there a way to convert the line of an AutoCAD drawing to a looser, squiggle line?

Thank you!

MONCIA, May 19, 2004
  2. Try the SKETCH command. You can find more details on how to use it in the HELP menu.

marybethoberlin, May 19, 2004
  3. MONCIA

ffejgreb Guest

ffejgreb, May 19, 2004
  4. MONCIA

RickW Guest

RickW, May 19, 2004
  5. Harold Leveritt, May 20, 2004
  6. changes can't be reversed after the drawing is saved.

Harold Leveritt, May 20, 2004
  7. MONCIA

Anne Brown Guest

Everyone -

Please do not change the subject line of newsgroup messages to
    which you are replying. It breaks the ability of the search
    engine to group the messages, makes it hard to follow the thread
    and is quite confusing. If it is a new subject, please start a
    new message; if a reply, put your text answer in the body of your
    message and leave the header the same.

Anne Brown, May 20, 2004
  8. MONCIA

OLD-CADaver Guest

<<I am interested in creating a drawing which feels less precise and loose, maybe even with the characteristics of a hand-drawn drawing.>>

Every time this comes up, I'm still amazed that someone actually WANTS to be "less precise".

OLD-CADaver, May 20, 2004
  9. MONCIA

Allen Jessup Guest

I use slightly curved polylines with a zigzag linetype.

Allen

will give me a wavier or loose line. I am interested in creating a drawing
    which feels less precise and loose, maybe even with the characteristics of a
    hand-drawn drawing. Is there a way to convert the line of an AutoCAD
    drawing to a looser, squiggle line?

Allen Jessup, May 20, 2004
  10. MONCIA

doug k Guest

i clump it in with other "legacy" methods left-over from the hand drawing
    era.
    such as;

always left-justified text (folks didn't like bothering to leroy backwards
    or from the center), get over it and justify in the direction of interest
    now, its just as easy.

water-colorizing renderings to show "brush strokes" (as if an inkjet plotter
    uses a brush!, who are you trying to fool?)

hand drawn looking fonts. this is the one that'll peeve a lot of archit
    types off, but i think its ridiculous coming out of a computer. its like
    seeing a modern car accented with plastic wood grain veneer.

loose, maybe even with the characteristics of a hand-drawn drawing.>>
    be "less precise".

doug k, May 20, 2004
  11. if your running ADT use the napkin sketch command. acad, I think you are
    out of luck.....

Paul

will give me a wavier or loose line. I am interested in creating a drawing
    which feels less precise and loose, maybe even with the characteristics of a
    hand-drawn drawing. Is there a way to convert the line of an AutoCAD
    drawing to a looser, squiggle line?

Paul Caruthers, May 20, 2004
  12. MONCIA

EIEIO Guest

One of a few primary rules in surveying is knowing when and to what degree
    one needs to be precise. I think it also applies to life in general. Why
    would you want to be more precise when you are no more accurate?

loose, maybe even with the characteristics of a hand-drawn drawing.>>
    be "less precise".

EIEIO, May 20, 2004
  13. MONCIA

OLD-CADaver Guest

<<One of a few primary rules in surveying is knowing when and to what degree one needs to be precise. >>

Agreed, as a time-saving effort.

<<Why would you want to be more precise when you are no more accurate? >>

If you already have a degree of precision, why spend MORE time (and money) to be "less precise"? You've only succeeded in making something that "looks" worse be more expensive.

14. MONCIA

madcadd Guest

Every time this comes up, I'm still amazed that someone actually WANTS to be "less precise".<<

Ever hear of fashion design? Design with fabric? Design with any non-ridged material?

Of course there is no room for any free flowing design because you are still amazed that someone actually WANTS to be "less precise".

I didn't hear Monica say this is for EVERYONE, rather it is something that she would like to have.

And no doubt others would as well and will read about it because of Monica's post and I counted no fewer than FIVE suggestions from others that replied for her and anyone else interested. Count me in those interested.

Oh yes, you're not so just disregard this entire post.

madcadd, May 20, 2004
  15. MONCIA

OLD-CADaver Guest

<<Ever hear of fashion design? Design with fabric? >>

Yep, did some customization for a fashion designer a few years ago, they required very precise drawings by the time they got to the CAD stage.

<<I didn't hear Monica say this is for EVERYONE, rather it is something that she would like to have. >>

Never said she did, I'm just amazed that someone desires to be "less precise".

16. MONCIA

Caved Guest

It is obvious that the OP is doing it all wrong. Not your way.

required very precise drawings by the time they got to the CAD stage.
    that she would like to have. >>
    precise".

Caved, May 20, 2004
  17. MONCIA

OLD-CADaver Guest

<<It is obvious that the OP is doing it all wrong. Not your way.>>

Again, I never claimed anyone was wrong, I'm just amazed someone wants a precise tool to be "less precise". It's like asking for your change to be rounded DOWN to the nearest quarter.

18. MONCIA

KLYPH Guest

I wish to thank MONCIA for asking for a method to squiggle things up and to thank Harold Leveritt for providing the freehand.lsp, which works wonderfully. Old-CADaver had wondered why one might spend energy and time on being less precise. I agree with the concept. I daily use AutoCAD for precise drafting every day. But, almost "secretly", I lately have been using AutoCAD for some artwork. I take electronic files of photos and insert them into AutoCAD. I then sketch over them. Now, yes, I could use one of the many sketch type programs out ther, but, too often, I have a stage or building in the background, and, when there are radiating lines, it is almost impossible to sketch them convincingly. With AutoCAD, I trace a line along the eave, another along the base and then 0-fillet these lines to get a vanishing point. I then can stretch-copy these lines, which radiate quite accurately. I had been hand sketching these scenes for year, but, when I put a line down in ink on drawing paper, it is there for good. In AutoCAD, I can change the line, I can move it, erase it, to a particular lineweight, to a dashed line, a dotted line, and on and on. If I wish to move a figure closer, I can scale him up. I can use wipeout with the figure so I can move him around without a lot of trimming & extending. Once framed, I don't need to tell any admirer of my work that it was done on a computer. Anyway, for some time now, I had been using plines to get a wavy look. Now, with the freehand.lsp, I can mess-up the lines to make them look handrawn. Such is another of many uses for which AutoCAD can be utilized. Again, a wonderful program. Read Ya Later -KLYPH

KLYPH, May 20, 2004
  19. MONCIA

OLD-CADaver Guest

Why do that when there are dozens of art programs available that do just that easier and cheaper?

20. MONCIA

N33W117 Guest

I just knew it was not going to be good enough for you. You will just go on
    forever. Hey, I hear you will argue if I told you the sun was yellow, or the
    sky was blue, or a bear....

that easier and cheaper?

N33W117, May 20, 2004
Ask a Question