Importing multple parts in Assembly at a time.

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by Shankar Venkateswaran, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Hi there,
    I have a complicated assembly which has got many bolt of same size. Is
    there a way to import all the required no of bolts in assembly at a
    time. Thanks in advance.
    Make it a great day!
    Shankar.

Shankar Venkateswaran, Oct 31, 2003
  2. Shankar Venkateswaran

David Janes Guest

: Hi there,
    : I have a complicated assembly which has got many bolt of same size. Is
    : there a way to import all the required no of bolts in assembly at a time.

There are ways to make component placement more efficient. One way is to pattern
    components, if there is a pattern in a reference component that they can follow.
    Another way is to use Repeat a component with Wildfire 'Edit>Repeat'. The last way
    does not involve component placement at all, rather a substitute called 'Bulk
    items'. In part mode, you create a bulk item part, add it as many times as needed
    in the assembly, do not place it, yet, it appears as a component, with a total, in
    a BOM. There is no way in Pro/e to tell the program to add 50 of a particular
    part, en masse. This is largely due to the fact of needing component references
    for placing parts. It is also due to the fact that users, myself included, like
    being able to see how each fastener fits. The graphics allow a quick check of
    sizes and lengths of fastener vs. hole which is often useful in catching
    mismatches.

David Janes

David Janes, Oct 31, 2003
  3. I just went for advanced assembly option and used repeat. If I use
    pattern it is not it possible to move each instance independently
    unless there is a symmetry. Isn't it? . Thanks again!

4. Can you give me the step by step procedure for that? where can i find that option?

5. Shankar Venkateswaran

David Janes Guest

: I just went for advanced assembly option and used repeat. If I use
    : pattern it is not it possible to move each instance independently
    : unless there is a symmetry. Isn't it?

Yes and no. In the standard dimension driven pattern, postion is linked to pattern
    increment and may not be moved independently. However, most patterns may be
    converted to table patterns where table locations, not a pattern increment, drives
    hole placement. When driven by a table, hole locations are independent and the
    table may be edited to place holes just about anywhere.

I've been using Wildfire for a while now and, as many things are so much simpler
    in WF, I'm starting to forget the cumbersome ways it was done earlier. But, if I'm
    not mistaken, pattern table creation was a two or three steps: create the pattern
    as dimension driven, redefine it to be table driven with 'To table' and then edit
    the table with 'Modify>Table'. But it may also have been changing in 2001, so I
    won't vouch for this procedure.

The neat thing though is that reference patterns (feature or component) don't care
    whether the pattern they're referencing is dimension or table driven. They follow
    just as well either way. The only thing that will through a reference pattern is
    deleting an instance so that a referencing feature or component loses it's
    reference.

David Janes

David Janes, Nov 1, 2003
Ask a Question