How Do Others Handle Printer Change Outs?

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by arsnik91, Mar 22, 2005.

1. arsnik91

arsnik91 Guest

After many years of service our HP 4MV printer had died and was promptly replaced with a new HP 5100dtn. Unfortunately, when ever we go to print, the warning message pops up telling us that the HP 4MV was not found which means we have to point it to the new printer instead. Now this on its own is no big deal but when we have a couple thousand drawings, it becomes a pain. Is this just an accepted evil that happens when printing hardware is changed or should we be doing something different to avoid this in the future? I'd like to know how others have dealt with this or are we the only ones this happens to?

arsnik91, Mar 22, 2005
  2. arsnik91

wfb Guest

Why not copy your 5100dtn and re-name the same as the HP 4MV. Just a
    thought.

Bill

replaced with a new HP 5100dtn. Unfortunately, when ever we go to print, the
    warning message pops up telling us that the HP 4MV was not found which means
    we have to point it to the new printer instead. Now this on its own is no
    big deal but when we have a couple thousand drawings, it becomes a pain. Is
    this just an accepted evil that happens when printing hardware is changed or
    should we be doing something different to avoid this in the future? I'd like
    to know how others have dealt with this or are we the only ones this happens
    to?

wfb, Mar 22, 2005
  3. arsnik91

arsnik91 Guest

That thought had crossed my mind but I was wondering if there was a different way of doing this. I'm guessing we should have set up a generic name for the previous printer, something like "Engineering_06", so that any future printer replacements could carry the same tag without using printer model specifics. The printer setup and naming convention is set by our IT department though and we do not have the "rights" to alter any of these characteristics ourselves.

It sounds like using a generic name based on use and not brand/model is the way to go. Anyone else care to share?

arsnik91, Mar 23, 2005
Ask a Question