How can I save my "mechanism icon display settings" for default

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by Xavier, May 5, 2004.

1. Xavier

Xavier Guest

So I finally partially solved my "slow mechanism display" problem by
    turning off the mechanism icons. Now the updates happing in about a second
    or so instead of 10-15 seconds, but the problem is that every time I load up
    the mechanism or animation the mechanism icons displays have to be turned
    off, so until I do that I have to wait for three refreshes which take about
    30 seconds. I have simplified the process by setting up mapkeys to do it,
    but the time I have to wait while the refreshes occur is still the same.
    I've tried looking in the config.pro but to no avail.

So my question is there a place I can store these settings, a hidden
    file in the pro/e or in the registry that controls these settings.

Thanks

Xavier, May 5, 2004
  2. Xavier

David Janes Guest

: So my question is there a place I can store these settings, a hidden
    : file in the pro/e or in the registry that controls these settings.
    :
    Yes, you can store the settings. While you're in the Mechanism application, go to
    'Tools>Customize Screen'. Pick the 'Toolbars' tab and scroll down to where the
    Mechanism tool bars are listed. Uncheck the ones you do not want placed on the
    screen border. Make sure you save this configuration or that the box at the bottom
    that says 'Automatically save to' is checked and that the value for the location
    is your usual 'start in' folder so that the config.win file contents are saved in
    the proper place and read when you start each session.

David Janes

David Janes, May 6, 2004
  3. Xavier

Xavier Guest

Thanks Again

Xavier, May 6, 2004
  4. Xavier

David Janes Guest

: Thanks Again
    :
    : : > : > : So my question is there a place I can store these settings, a hidden
    : > : file in the pro/e or in the registry that controls these settings.
    : > :
    : > Yes, you can store the settings. While you're in the Mechanism
    : application, go to
    : > 'Tools>Customize Screen'. Pick the 'Toolbars' tab and scroll down to where
    : the
    : > Mechanism tool bars are listed. Uncheck the ones you do not want placed on
    : the
    : > screen border. Make sure you save this configuration or that the box at
    : the bottom
    : > that says 'Automatically save to' is checked and that the value for the
    : location
    : > is your usual 'start in' folder so that the config.win file contents are
    : saved in
    : > the proper place and read when you start each session.
    : >

I was going through some help material on icons to answer another when I found
    something on Mechanism icons ~ the animation display icons for connections,
    servos, force, etc ~ that show up on the part. This led me to wonder if I hadn't
    answered the 'wrong' question, since there does seem to be a second
    interpretation. I can easily see how turning off those 'icons' with 'View>Display
    Settings>Mechanism Display' could speed up screen resets since they are part of
    the display.

Unfortunately, I can only confirm your failure to find any way to permanently
    change these settings. Pro/e is not a Windows program, simply making interface
    changes is not 'remembered' by Windows, or by Pro/e, for that matter. The only way
    Pro/e remembers is by creating and later referencing a settings file of some kind.
    When you can create such a file, there is a menu option somewhere, sometimes at
    the top of the setup screen, that says 'File' and will allow you to save a file
    with those options settings. Then there is some confi.pro option that calls out
    that file. But, as you probably noticed, there is no such menu in the
    imaginatively titled 'Display Entities' window. The place then to look would be
    config.pro and there are a bunch of sim_display_* type options but changing them
    does not turn off the motion setup symbols in mechanisms. Also checked out layers
    as there are an enormous number of new things that can be searched on and used to
    place things (generally features) on layers. No luck there, either.

Sorry, looks like we're sol, better hang on to that map key. Maybe this is one of
    those things that drives Pro/TOOLKIT sales. Anyone know if PTK lets you access
    settings like this and change defaults to which Pro/e provides no access or way to
    permanently change?

David Janes

David Janes, May 9, 2004
Ask a Question