Help on AutoSketch V8 Text

Discussion in 'AutoSketch' started by jprev, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jprev

jprev Guest

Hi:

I'm using V8 and convert text entities to polygons and then save them as dxf files which I can convert to machine code gcode and cut on my cnc machine. However I have one small problem. When AutoSketch converts to polygons it converts the outside edges of the text which means my machine will cut around the perimeter of the letter.

Does anyone know of anyway to change this so the letter is solid? Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

jprev, Nov 3, 2004
  2. jprev

Gadget Guest

It's doing what you ask: the cutting machine follows a line, same as a plotter; from point A to B to C... this is the core principle of vector images and why it uses DXF files.

If you want 'thinner' lines, you would need to either use a font that is fine, or offset the polylines inwards after the text is converted to that there is less 'fill' area - the "pen" will make a double pass over some areas, but what do you expect.
    To make it look like it will output, change the "pen thickness" in the drawing to match the tool on your engraver: any "gaps" will be visible.
    If you want the internal area to be engraved out, then you will need to fill it with a fine "hatch" pattern (remember to scale it properly, and changing the pen thickness will not alter what the fill looks like - neither will zooming)

The people I know who use vinal cutting machines use CorelDraw rather than a CAD package (I think you can pick up V8 for much cheapness and it will do everything you need)

Gadget, Nov 3, 2004
Ask a Question