Hardware recommendation

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by Bertil Rogmark, Jan 25, 2008.

1. My old laptop is about to be retired.
    I think the replacement will also run on XP Pro 32 bit but wonder if there
    is
    any recommendation out there as to manufacturer, model and graphics?

Bertil

Bertil Rogmark, Jan 25, 2008
  2. Bertil Rogmark

Janes Guest

My old laptop is about to be retired.
    I think the replacement will also run on XP Pro 32 bit but wonder if there
    is
    any recommendation out there as to manufacturer, model and graphics?

Bertil

A couple of thoughts:
    a.. Why not go with a later, updated version of what you're using now? The later version couldn't be less powerful and capable of running Pro/e;
    b.. Naturally, this discussion hinges largely on what you need, what you'll be using this computer for. Dell is advertising one of its Mobile Desktop machines for $500 off ($2500 down to $2000). But if you're going to be using this machine as a mobile Power Point presenter, you could easily do with $1000 machine. And, even if you're doing some minimal Pro/e part/assembly manipulation, you could easily do with a less-than-desktop powerful machine, IOW, something in the $1500 range. Here are some things you'll want, whatever the base system:
    a.. The more memory the better, whatever the platform
    b.. OpenGL compliant GPU; again, the more memory the better ~ nVidia cards have tended to fit the bill best
    c.. Gigabit wireless connection for fast, trouble-free up/down loads
    d.. Either a nice big display or a docking station with a 24" LCD
    XP 32 bit for Pro/e sounds good. I haven't heard anything to recommend Vista for Pro/e. But if you're looking for a non-standard (i.e., what you require, not what's selling popularly now), custom job, you may be looking to a very specialized niche vendor ~ the custom builder. You'll have to investigate; I doubt that anyone here can recommend one.

David Janes

Janes, Jan 25, 2008
Ask a Question