Got a few questions

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by CEIDave, Oct 21, 2004.

1. CEIDave

CEIDave Guest

Our office is getting ready to install 2005 on 5 cad machines and our administrator is thinking it might be easier or better to install a networked deployment this time. Her biggest concern is that in the instructions it says that the users need admin privleges on their work stations. I work with a bunch of people who do stupid things to their computers when not controlled. Is this really the case, or is it possible to use the network deployment while keeping the end users to a minimum of privileges on their machines?

Also, is it really worth changing how we've done things in the past? We've always installed a stand alone on each machine, then copied around all the menu files and lisps, etc.

CEIDave, Oct 21, 2004
  2. CEIDave

James Snyder Guest

I believe that only the person who installs the image needs to have
    administrative rights on the client machine. If its installed from a
    network deployment onto a client machine while logged into the client
    machine as a user with administrative rights, it should go like buttah.
    Users do not need administrative, or even power user rights to run AutoCAD
    IMHO, network deployment is the way to go, especially if you are into
    standardization. You can use the Network Installation Wizard to include all
    of those ancillary files (menus, shortcuts, templates, etc.) in the base
    image so that everyone starts from the exact same baseline setup. HTH.

James Snyder

James Snyder, Oct 21, 2004
  3. CEIDave

CEIDave Guest

thanks for the response. I guess the admin found out our license won't allow for that... so I get to install everything the way its been done for years around here. I wish we could do the network install, but not this year!

CEIDave, Oct 22, 2004
Ask a Question