fatal error opening DWG files

Discussion in 'AutoSketch' started by agentboa, Jan 20, 2005.

1. agentboa

agentboa Guest

I was sent a set of DWG files made in the latest autocad and the smaller (under 3 meg) files opened just fine in my just purchased AutoSketch 9. Anything larger gives me a fatal error and must close the program. I noticed people had a similar problem with earlier versions of AutoSketch (fatal error when opening DWG files), but it sounded like the problem would be fixed with version 9. One large file I had sent as a 2004 DWG, a 2000 DWG, a 2000 DXF and a R12 DXF, but none of them would open. Is there some other instruction I should be giving the sender about how to save the file so I can open it?

agent boa

agentboa, Jan 20, 2005
  2. agentboa

Len Rafuse Guest

You can have them select all and explode. You loose some info but this
    usually gets a file to open. Sometimes they need to select all 2 or 3
    times and explode each time.

Len Rafuse, Jan 20, 2005
  3. agentboa

Danizwhoiam Guest

The problem with having them explode all blocks is that you'll lose all the information that's in the attribues. You can lose tons of time that way.

Fortunately, AutoCAD express tools (included in newer versions for free) has an option to explode attributes to text. Ask them to do it this way, it will save tons of information.

Also, if you care to attach a zip'd version of one of the files, I'll play with it for you. I've got both CAD & Sketch available.

Dan

Danizwhoiam, Jan 24, 2005
Ask a Question