Dimensioning Arcitectural/Fractional

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by gross2, Mar 24, 2005.

1. gross2

gross2 Guest

Is there a way to set up dimensioning so any dimension 6'-0" or above is shown as architectural as feet and inches, and any dimension below 6'-0" is shown as fractional in just inches?

gross2, Mar 24, 2005
  2. gross2

tstright Guest

I have been looking for a way to do the same. We are using two dim styles that are button driven to accomplish this.

tstright, Mar 24, 2005
  3. gross2

gmcarter Guest

The attached routine is one I use. It takes a selected dimension and evaluates if it is 2'-0" or smaller it changes the dimension style to another style that uses inches only. You will have to modify it for your needs.

gmcarter, Mar 24, 2005
  4. gross2

tstright Guest

We have a similar lisp for converting back and forth form inches only to feet/inches.

I believe what the Op wants is a lisp that will determine if the dim string needs to be in inches or in feet/inches automatically.

tstright, Mar 24, 2005
  5. gross2

gmcarter Guest

You could use the above code in a custom dimensioning lisp routine that eveluates the distance and assigns the dimstyle before applying the dimension to the drawing or it could apply the dimension with the default dim style and change it automatically if needed before exiting the routine.

gmcarter, Mar 24, 2005
  6. gross2

gross2 Guest

Thanks for your help. I'm a new user to AutoCAD and this is a little beyond my capabilities. Is there an easier way to do this. I am not yet familiar with autolisp.

Thanks, Gary

gross2, Mar 25, 2005
  7. Gary, After you create all your dims with 1 style use QSELECT
    to filter out all Dims < yourLength and move them to a second
    style.
    gl
    Paul

Paul Richardson, Mar 25, 2005
  8. gross2

tstright Guest

That's a great Idea Paul.....

I'm going to work on the idea to have it place the correct Dim at the time it's created.

tstright, Mar 25, 2005
  9. Cool, Look into reactors, or events in VBA.
    gl
    Paul

Paul Richardson, Mar 25, 2005
Ask a Question