Create a selection set from an object name

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by iwafb, Apr 1, 2005.

1. iwafb

iwafb Guest

Hi all

This might sound strange, but is there a way to add a selection set to an entity name?

I am working with groups, and the condition is that I have a selection set of one entity per group. I then cycle through the selection set to get each individual entity at a time. This is where it gets tricky. I want to then create a new selection set of all entities that are grouped to that name (entity not group), but can't see how. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

John

iwafb, Apr 1, 2005
  2. iwafb

Jeff Mishler Guest

OK, I won't even pretend that I understand what you are trying to do ;-)
    But, would the (ssadd) function be what you are looking for? Or, based on
    the first line of your post, "add a ss to an ename"......isn't that what
    Groups are?

Jeff Mishler, Apr 1, 2005
  3. iwafb

iwafb Guest

Thanks Jeff,

If you imagine several rectangles, all independent. Each one of these rectangles has one or more circles somewhere within its boundary which is grouped to the rectangle. I want to create a selection set which will cycle through each group (say one rectangle and all the circles grouped to it). If I create a selection set by windowing all rectangles and circles, then (ssname ss 1) could return the next entity in the group or in another group.

What I thought, was to create a selection set of all the rectangles (pickstyle set to 0) then add all the circles (remainder of group) to a new selection set starting with the current rectangle. Problem is that, (ssadd) works the other way. ie. start with a selection set then add an ename. I start with an ename (ssname ss index) from which I then want to create a selection set that includes all the additional entities in that group.

I hope this makes it clearer. If not, thanks for trying.

BTW, what do you mean by isn't that what groups are?

John

iwafb, Apr 3, 2005
Ask a Question