Controlling calls to subroutines from VB straight from AutoCAD Command prompt

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by matt_1ca, Feb 9, 2005.

1. matt_1ca

matt_1ca Guest

Does anyone know how I can call a subroutine from VB instead of from VBA.

Right now what I can do is run the vb exe file from the command line which normally opens up the exe's form from which I can run various functions by clicking button from said form etc.

But on top of that I also need to be able to do something like a (vl-vbarun mysubroutineNameHere) from the command prompt to be able to make calls to the certain specific VB routines.

Right now the only option I can think of is create a .dll and reference it from vba which is no problem -- but what I want is to be able to do it straight from VB instead so that I do not have to regsvr32 on all machines that will try to run my program.

Thanks for all the kind help you can give on this matter.

Matt

matt_1ca, Feb 9, 2005
  2. matt_1ca

fantum Guest

You could pass command line arguments to your VB app, check for them in Sub Main(), and call your subroutines from there. BTW, you don't need regsvr32 - you can call the DllRegisterServer function exported by any ActiveX dll.

fantum, Feb 9, 2005
  3. I've only ever seen that done as a hard-coded declaration. Do you know
    of a more dynamic method?

Frank Oquendo, Feb 9, 2005
  4. matt_1ca

fantum Guest

If you don't know the name of the dll until run-time then you'll have to duplicate the functionality of regsvr32: LoadLibrary to load the dll, GetProcAddress to get a pointer to the function, then call the function pointer. I recommend Mathew Curland's Advanced Visual Basic 6 for detailed instructions.

fantum, Feb 9, 2005
  5. Hi,

The easiest solution to this type of problem is to create an install for
    your program with a product like Inno Setup which enables you to register
    all the DLLs with the installation.

--

Regards,

Laurie Comerford
    www.cadapps.com.au

Laurie Comerford, Feb 9, 2005
  6. matt_1ca

matt_1ca Guest

Thank you, this looks like one possible solution.

I can see a potential problem though -- and the reason is that I am looking at making the user only have to call the program once -- like on startup of AutoCAD. The program will automatically open up.

Then it will be like a toolbar that stays up there -- so the solution you mentioned can work but it does not look like its going to be in that kind of scenario where I do not have to go doing Shell or ShellExecute to the .exe file which also erases all the values of global variables everytime.

Matt

matt_1ca, Feb 10, 2005
  7. matt_1ca

matt_1ca Guest

I think I can work around the potential problem I mentioned -- thank you for the brilliant concept you have shared.

Matt

matt_1ca, Feb 11, 2005
Ask a Question