client unable to get license from server

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by lo-tek, Mar 22, 2005.

1. lo-tek

lo-tek Guest

i have a win2000pro computer with land desktop 3 that is unable to get a lecense from our license server. we have two other computers that can connect with no problem. here is the error message i get when i try to connect with the license server:

The network license manager was not able to get a valid license. If this problem continues, please contact your system administrator. Error [1.5.-12]

if anyone can help out, i would greatly appreciate it.

lo-tek, Mar 22, 2005
  2. lo-tek

TravisNave Guest

I would check your licpath.lic file to make sure it contains the correct server name and MAC address.

Also, see if you can connect to that server at all (i.e. ping, etc.)

I would also check to make sure that you have enough licenses available in your FlexLM and that not all are checked out.

TravisNave, Mar 22, 2005
  3. lo-tek

lo-tek Guest

Thanks, travis

i will take a look at the licpath.lic file. for some more background info, i installed the license server on a windows server 2003. we have one network license that is shared between 4 users. 3 of the 4 computers are running windows xp pro and are able to pull the license from the server with no problems. the computer i am having trouble with is a windows 2000 pro computer which i made a fresh client install from the acad image from our server. the error message comes up after i open land desktop 3 and enter the server name containing the license file.

lo-tek, Mar 22, 2005
  4. lo-tek

lo-tek Guest

i just checked the licpath.lic file and the server name and mac address are correct. i also made sure that no one else is using acad while i try to get this one computer working. this is very puzzling.

lo-tek, Mar 22, 2005
  5. lo-tek

jpostlewait Guest

Try the IP address of the License Server instead of the name.
    If DNS is acting up this will work.

John Postlewait
    IS Department
    George Butler Associates, Inc.

jpostlewait, Mar 22, 2005
  6. lo-tek

TravisNave Guest

TravisNave, Mar 22, 2005
  7. lo-tek

lo-tek Guest

thanks for helping out john and travis...but i am still stuck with this one computer.

i have tried typing in the server's ip address as well making sure that the windows firewall is disabled on the server. 3 other computers are able to to access the network license so i believe if there is any kind of port filtering, it would be on the problem machine. i have read the knowledge base article regarding my error code, but i can not find anything on this windows 2000 computer that may be blocking port 2080. if you guys have any more suggestions i would greatly appreciate it. again, thanks for your time and knowledge!

lo-tek, Mar 22, 2005
  8. I've seen situations where spyware or adware is causing the port conflict
    and error 1.5.-12.

Maybe try running pest patrol or some other adware/spyware removal tool.

Good luck,
    Drew Burgasser
    CAD Masters, Inc.

Drew Burgasser, Mar 22, 2005
  9. lo-tek

lo-tek Guest

BINGO!!!

I downloaded and ran Microsoft's beta antispyware program (S&D and adaware didn't find anything) and it found and deleted 3 items. After I rebooted, BAM, land desktop opened up just like it is supposed to. Thanks Drew for the suggestion...i never would have thought of spyware causing this problem. Thanks Travis and John for your time and help as well. I cannot thank you guys enough!

Mike

lo-tek, Mar 23, 2005
  10. lo-tek

jpostlewait Guest

Thank you for posting the results.
    I'll try to remember that one.

John P.

jpostlewait, Mar 23, 2005
  11. lo-tek

TravisNave Guest

Oh yeah, give all the credit to Drew when I asked that you check for Spyware and viruses in my last post. Ha. Kidding. Glad yout got it fixed. You'd be surprised how many license problems are as a result of a virus or malware.

The Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta program is outstanding.

TravisNave, Mar 23, 2005
  12. lo-tek

lo-tek Guest

sorry travis...i completely missed the end of your message. i had clicked on the link you provided and never got a chance to read the rest of your post.

:)

lo-tek, Mar 23, 2005
  13. lo-tek

TravisNave Guest

Ha, it is all good. The good thing is that it is fixed and that if anybody else has this problem, they can look this up and find a bunch of good solutions.

TravisNave, Mar 23, 2005
Ask a Question