Can Wildfire be set to default to full screen in Windows?

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by Mike, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Mike

Mike Guest

Does anyone know if this is available?

Thanks

Mike

Mike, Jul 14, 2006
  2. Mike

David Janes Guest

In Pro/e logic, it already is. This is because Pro/e is still dominated by Menu
    Manager methodology. Unless and until this is completely purged from the PTC
    design philosophy, screen design will continue to allow for Menu Manager type
    menus/windows which pop and flop and slop and slip and slide and resize and hide
    all over the place and all over each other; until such time as it completely dumps
    the whole Menu Manager approach, inherited from Unix, and fully adopts a GUI
    approach (including some sophistication in screen design which, in Pro/e, is
    extremely crude), full screen could, not only, NOT be the default, it would be, as
    it is, quite useless and pure illusion. Pro/e will demonstrate this to you every
    time you "lose" some incidental 'window' (some silly little acknowledgement,
    perhaps) behind the main graphics window and you can't figure out why nothing is
    responding. It's not a "glitch" in Pro/e or Windows; it's an anti-GUI design
    philosophy. And Windows fullscreen is the most basic element of GUI. It is
    spawning windows, windows windows everywhere windows, everything is windows, to
    undermine GUI, mock and belittle GUI, belittle mass culture, belittle consumer
    products, belittle the mass base of Windows. Pro/e will be fullscreen when PTC ~
    it's management and programmers ~ get over their essentially elitist mentality and
    decide to be a really successful commercial product.

David Janes, Jul 14, 2006
  3. Mike

David Janes Guest

whoops, I think we got a runon sentence here (AKA, a rant). It musta been that
    beer!!!!!!

David Janes, Jul 15, 2006
  4. Mike

David Janes Guest

Good catch, Brooke! Still, I hestitate to recommend it. Much less as a default.
    I've tried many times over the past 7-8 years of using Pro/e to treat it like a
    full screen-cable program. With Dashboard, it's getting there. But it's still such
    a hodgepodge of interfaces, dominated by the MM approach, that it gets very
    frustrating, moving menu windows that are in the way of an icon or check box, or
    resizing windows or finding a message window that popped behind the graphics
    window. All of which gets WORSE when you try to use the program fullscreen. But,
    hey, to each his own. If you want fullscreen as the default, here it is. BTW, this
    does work for the first window opened. How about subsequent windows?

David Janes, Jul 15, 2006
  5. Mike

Jeff Howard Guest

It seems to work in WF2. Changes Default window size to a screen filling window
    (not a Windows Maximized window). I might run with it a while someday and see
    how I like it.

I agree with your reservation about using it; things will get lost behind the
    main window.

FWIW, I set up an independant, outside the main window model tree. Took some
    time to get set up and to get used to (everything compromises something). I
    sorta like it; uses the dead space reserved for menu manager, is relatively easy
    to get out of the way if something hides behind it and maximizes graphics window
    area if not working with layers (they stay in the Navigation window), etc.

Jeff Howard, Jul 15, 2006
  6. Mike

Peter Guest

I run two monitors from an Nvidia Gforce4 board.
    This way when WF2 is full screen, any pop ups are on the second monitor
    and not hidden behind the main window.
    Another advantage is that tutorials and help screens can be run on the
    second monitor without blocking any of the main window.

Peter

Peter, Jul 16, 2006
  7. Mike

Guest Guest

Thanks for the list Brooke,
    your email bounced, how do I add this hidden setting?

Mike

Guest, Jul 18, 2006
Ask a Question