Cadence, shortened net, global pins

Discussion in 'Cadence' started by StreAMnewal, Apr 14, 2010.

1. StreAMnewal

StreAMnewal Guest

StreAMnewal, Apr 14, 2010
  2. StreAMnewal wrote, on 04/14/10 12:31:
    Well, why are you shorting them? You cannot short pins to globals, globals to
    globals, or pins to pins (certainly not in IC5141 - CDB just doesn't support
    this). Whilst in theory OpenAccess would allow this, it would require a lot of
    changes throughout the tools for this to be supported.

The general workaround is to use the "cds_thru" component from the "basic"
    library. This is a virtual short - it can be seen as an iprobe for spectre, or a
    zero-volt source, or Virtuoso XL can treat it as a short, and Assura can short
    the component (provided there's support in your rules), etc, etc.

Regards,

Andrew.

Andrew Beckett, Apr 14, 2010
  3. StreAMnewal

StreAMnewal Guest

Thanks, Andrew.

I am a little confused. I have another question.
    What the globals? is it vdda or vdde?

How can I create pin that will be used in Schematic scheme and in the
    upper ierarchy of Schematic scheme?

I need to short vdda or vdde with pins because i shortened them with a
    bulk of pmos4 everywhere in schemes of project,
    Different signal to different pmos4.
    I need to add signal such as power to vdda thar i short with bulk.

StreAMnewal, Apr 14, 2010
  4. StreAMnewal wrote, on 04/14/10 19:55:
    Those tap symbols you've placed on your schematic (vddd, veed, veea etc) have
    defined the net connected to them as being global signals (named vddd!, veed!
    (note the exclamation mark at the end). This means that any schematic in the
    hierarchy which uses the same name will have those nets connected to each other
    - because they are global.

The pins (such as as +5Vaa +5Va) are explicit connections through the hierarchy;
    you would wire up to the pins on the corresponding symbol, and the connections
    would go through the hierarchy.

It is illegal to have a connection which is both an explicit pin, and global, if
    the names are different - it's a short.

There are a few cases where you are allowed to "alias" net names - you can use
    things like the "patch" component in basic, or you can (for example) label a
    wire differently to the pin to which is connected. However, that allows you to
    "alias" an internal net - it does not allow you to connect a pin to a pin (which
    is a short) or a pin to a global (also a short) or a global to a global (Also a
    short).

Fundamentally you have discovered why using global signals is a bad idea!

As I said before, you could use the cds_thru to create a virtual short - it all
    depends on what you're doing with the schematic. Sometimes people consciously
    have the bulk nets separate, and then connect them using a "metal resistor" on
    the layout (often just a marker over a track to make LVS extract it as a small
    value resistor - this means you can ensure that each side of this "resistor" is
    connected to the expected components, but yet they are joined in reality).

Anyway, your question is a bit confusing - probably because of your English -
    but I _think_ I've described what you're trying to solve. Unfortunately if you
    don't know what a global signal is, you probably need to do some reading of the
    documentation, and I'd worry about whether how you've structured your schematics
    makes sense.

Regards,

Andrew.

Andrew Beckett, Apr 14, 2010
  5. StreAMnewal

StreAMnewal Guest

Thanks, Andrew.
    How can I wire up the pins in "Schematics"?
    As I understood I need to add "!" to the end of pin name so this would
    connect with same name pin through hierarchy.
    //Sorry for my English

StreAMnewal, Apr 15, 2010
  6. StreAMnewal wrote, on 04/15/10 15:10:
    I don't understand your question. So I'm taking a guess at what you're asking.

Normally you would not have ! in the name of pins - because there's not much
    point making it a pin if it's global (and adding the ! would make the net global).

Pins in a schematic connections into a block which must be wired up in the
    parent schematic.

Wires labelled with a "!" suffix, or with a "tap" symbol (such as vdd, gnd from
    the "basic" library) are global - i.e. all places in the design where the same
    name is used, are all connected to each other.

Regards,

Andrew.

Andrew Beckett, Apr 15, 2010
Ask a Question