Automatic Text in Layout

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by pdiemer, Oct 21, 2004.

1. pdiemer

pdiemer Guest

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create text in a layout that will automatically update itself based on which layout this text is in? To clarify, I have a drawing with about 30 layouts, each layout will serve as a page # in the final drawing set. Towards project completion, the order of these layouts will change, a few layouts will be added and some will be deleted. Instead of manually editing the text in each layout each time we add or subtract a page, I would like to have these page #'s in our title block update themselves based upon the order in which they exist in respect to the rest of the layouts.

Is this possible?

pdiemer, Oct 21, 2004
  2. Actually just saw some info. in the express tools newsgroup today that might
    get you where you want to be. Do a search for rtext. I saw a post from
    earlier in the year I believe it was regarding a very similar issue.

--
    John Michalik
    Drafting and Design
    LDD/CAD Development & Standards

automatically update itself based on which layout this text is in? To
    clarify, I have a drawing with about 30 layouts, each layout will serve as a
    page # in the final drawing set. Towards project completion, the order of
    these layouts will change, a few layouts will be added and some will be
    deleted. Instead of manually editing the text in each layout each time we
    add or subtract a page, I would like to have these page #'s in our title
    block update themselves based upon the order in which they exist in respect
    to the rest of the layouts.

John Michalik, Oct 21, 2004
  3. pdiemer

C Witt Guest

if you are using 2k5, i suggest you look into fields

C Witt, Oct 21, 2004
  4. pdiemer

pdiemer Guest

Thanks to you both. We are using R2002 so I'm not sure if the command "field" will work yet.

As far as RTEXT, I haven't used that one but it looks like a very useful command. However, I can't find the variable that corresponds with layout number. CTAB seems to be the closest variable and that one give you layout name.

Any other ideas?

pdiemer, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Sorry, none here. I was hoping you might find it under the previous posts.
    I saw comments about it, but really searching for a different rtext issue.
    Try posting the question under the AutoCAD Customization newsgroup. Someone
    may have done it already or know how.

--
    John Michalik
    Drafting and Design
    LDD/CAD Development & Standards

command. However, I can't find the variable that corresponds with layout
    number. CTAB seems to be the closest variable and that one give you layout
    name.

John Michalik, Oct 21, 2004
  6. pdiemer

chrisb Guest

<<CTAB seems to be the closest variable and that one give you layout name.>>

-How about renaming your layout tabs to read the way you want to see them in your title blocks -you know, like "Plumbing -Sht 1", or "Electrical - Shit 20" ? Then have the Rtext function as part of your titleblock text.

chrisb, Oct 21, 2004
  7. pdiemer

pdiemer Guest

Your idea will work but it takes me away from having the drawing numbers update themselves when a sheet is added or deleted. If, for example, I needed to add a page 2, then I would have to go and rename all the layout tabs after sheet 2 in order to get "getvar, ctab" to work. Thanks for the idea though.

pdiemer, Oct 21, 2004
  8. pdiemer

chrisb Guest

I see what you mean. What you want, then, is going to have to involve some programming - not really all that much, but some. It could probably done in Vlisp, but don't ask me how - I'm an old AutoLisp hacker, but have not found the time to learn all the additional functions (like reactors) that are part of Visual Lisp.

chrisb, Oct 22, 2004
Ask a Question