AutoCad Native Fonts

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by teiarch, May 19, 2004.

1. teiarch

teiarch Guest

Is everyone satisfied that AutoDesk continues to bundle the same old crude looking, badly coded, ROMANC, ROMAND and ROMANS fonts with their new releases?

I have recoded and added more characters and symbols to these fonts and I think they are worthy of being considered for replacement of the ols "native" fonts.

Is anyone at AutoDesk interested in looking at these?

Technically, by the copyright agreement, they already belong to AutoDesk. Now I just need a contact to get them included in the packages.
    Let me know where to send them....Thanks.

teiarch, May 19, 2004
  2. teiarch

Walt Engle Guest

While you are entitled to your opinion, let me point out that ANSI (American National Standards Institute) requires the use of single stroke Gothic in drafting
    and Romans is the only font that fits that setting. While I prefer Arial, for those who must adhere to ANSI, they would be required to use Romans.

Walt Engle, May 19, 2004
  3. teiarch

OLD-CADaver Guest

Gee, I've never really needed anything that's not already in those fonts.

OLD-CADaver, May 19, 2004
  4. teiarch

Tom Smith Guest

Romans is the only font that fits that setting

Simplex is still supplied, and it's visually indistinguishable from Romans.
    The charcter widths are very slightly different in a few cases. I've never
    understood why they supplied two fonts which are almost, but not quite,
    exactly the same.

Tom Smith, May 19, 2004
  5. The main difference is with the origin location of the characters.
    Romans centers the characters in the bounding box, Simplex left
    justifies them in the box. The former is more in line with current
    font standards.

--
    David William Edwards

SHXConvert - Replace SHX fonts in a DWG with component objects/Blocks
    Compile/Decompile SHX fonts without AutoCAD
    Announcing "PROJECT NEWPLEX - THE NEW STANDARD"
    FONTasm! - Truetype to Filled SHX Font/DXF File Converter
    CAD Font Services - Creation, Conversion, Customization
    http://www.tcfonts.com

Dave (TC Fonts), May 19, 2004
  6. Really? I'm always getting requests for additional characters or at least
    changes.

--
    David William Edwards

SHXConvert - Replace SHX fonts in a DWG with component objects/Blocks
    Compile/Decompile SHX fonts without AutoCAD
    Announcing "PROJECT NEWPLEX - THE NEW STANDARD"
    FONTasm! - Truetype to Filled SHX Font/DXF File Converter
    CAD Font Services - Creation, Conversion, Customization
    http://www.tcfonts.com

Dave (TC Fonts), May 19, 2004
  7. teiarch

Walt Engle Guest

This could be discussed for several weeks and there would never be a concensus. To each his own (I never did go for redheads - just brunettes and blondes). I was
    just pointing out something as concerns ANSI; otherwise, as I said, I prefer Arial as it shows up better in a dwg.

Walt Engle, May 19, 2004
  8. teiarch

OLD-CADaver Guest

<<Really? I'm always getting requests for additional characters or at least changes. >>

Like what, for instance?

OLD-CADaver, May 19, 2004
  9. teiarch

Warren Trost Guest

Simplex may be supplied but it has not been documented since R11.

Warren Trost, May 19, 2004
  10. teiarch

Tom Smith Guest

Thanks for the info, Dave.

Tom Smith, May 19, 2004
  11. teiarch

teiarch Guest

Walt: Thanks for the ANSI lesson. My revised ROMANS is single stroke -just as the "old" ROMANS is. The difference is that it I rewrote the definitions do you can plot the characters 6 inches high and they will be nice smooth curves. Plus I added in all those little features that are described in the help files -plus I added all the other characters that I read that people would like to have at their proper UNICODE addresses.

teiarch, May 19, 2004
  12. teiarch

teiarch Guest

Well Walt, you've denied yourself some interesting life experiences by your lack of interest in redheads....I;ve been married to one for 42 years and can speak with some authority on this matter -the same as my assertion that my revised version of ROMANS is better all around than the original......

teiarch, May 19, 2004
  13. If you're willing to share them, why not post in customer files? I'm
    just an end user, but I'd be interested in at least looking at the font.
    I agree that ROMANS could use some work. My pet peeve is the '3' --
    I prefer two loops to two lines and a loop.

Martin

Martin Shoemaker, May 20, 2004
  14. teiarch

OLD-CADaver Guest

<<the same as my assertion that my revised version of ROMANS is better all around than the original>>

Did you name it ROMANS or something else?

What happens when somebody gets the file and doesn't have your custom font?

Special characters, like a centerline symbol, usually require some special code, what's the advantage of some special code over just keying in the abbreviation?

OLD-CADaver, May 20, 2004
  15. teiarch

teiarch Guest

Old-CADaver:

The file name is ROMANSX.SHX.

The same thing happens as any other font. If you don't have it resident on your computer, your software substitutes your specified default.

The advantage of special coding lies in the fact that UNICODE, Inc. has assigned a specific hexadecimal address for these codes. (For more info, visit UNICODE.ORG) Using these addresses makes the font usable in other countries. This is why Autodesk rewrote ROMANS using UNIFONT format in 1996.

teiarch, May 20, 2004
  16. teiarch

teiarch Guest

Martin: ROMANSX can be downloaded at CADDEPOT.COM. In rewriting the code, I didn't change the shape of any characters because my goal was to clean up some of the inefficient coding and add some more useful characters.Sorry about your '3' but it's still the same as it ever was. The only difference you'll see is that the curved portion is now a smooth curve instead of a series of jerky line segments -as are the curved portions of all other characters.

teiarch, May 20, 2004
  17. teiarch

OLD-CADaver Guest

<<The same thing happens as any other font. If you don't have it resident on your computer, your software substitutes your specified default. >>

And the special coding becomes..? gibberish?
    If the substituted font has a different definition for that special code, I'll see something different on the drawing. IMMHO, bad idea.

The advantage of UNICODE disappears if I don't have a font that defines that code EXACTLY the same that your font does.

OLD-CADaver, May 20, 2004
  18. teiarch

madcadd Guest

surprise surprise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many of us have! That doesn't surprise you does it?

madcadd, May 20, 2004
  19. teiarch

teiarch Guest

All character addresses in the current ROMANS font are UNICODE addresses. ROMANS has a set of characters which people in other countries use instead of the ones on US keyboards via remapping the keyboard via different country codes. These characters have been there since day one (or at least since R11).

I've included a complete character chart with ROMANSX which shows the location of a characters -existing and added ones. Once you know where things are, including special characters gets easy.

teiarch, May 21, 2004
  20. teiarch

OLD-CADaver Guest

I'm aware of unicode addresses, what I'm talking about are your added characters. If I use your added special characters, then send that file to someone who does not have ROMANSX, the special characters become gibberish. IMMHO, bad idea, bad practice, bad business.

OLD-CADaver, May 21, 2004
Ask a Question