Autocad 2004 Menu Problems

Discussion in 'AutoCAD' started by sashk, Aug 5, 2003.

1. sashk

sashk Guest

Hello All....this may be a long explanation but I really need help.

We have autocad 2004. Currently, we are on 2000i.
    In the past, we took our custom menus and pasted it into the acad.mnu file and loaded that (well, we load the .mns file). Our old cad manager did that so I carried on the tradition.

I decided to seperate our menu and leave the standard "vanilla cad" alone. So, I created our own menu structure. We'll call it yyy.mnu

In the support file search path, under the menu, help, etc, I left the menu location in the documents and settings folder. Again, I want to keep cad as simple as it is and make our custom stuff secondary.

Now, we are getting to the dilema. I have a acaddoc.lsp file that defines our startup stuff and also sets some variables. At the end of the function, it have a (menucmd "p0=xxxxx) (menucmd "p0=*) function that pops up a menu from my yyy.mnu (its a box that tells the user to select a drawing scale), but instead, it actually pops up the ***pop0 (object snap menu) from the acad.mnu instead of the pop up box from my yyy.mnu file. The funny thing is that what is supposed to pop up in my yyy.mnu is not even named anything close to the p0 in my yyy.mnu. Also, my images in my blocks menu does not show up either. The slide library is in my support file search path too!

Now, if I go back to the options dialogue box and change the menu location to the location of where my yyy.mnu is (rather than where the acad.mnu is)located, then it seems to work. But, again, I'm playing around with vanilla cad and I really hate to do that. I want to keep it as simple as I can.

Now, the last issue. I have a lisp routine that I wrote and I use it whenever I update my menus. What it does is it unloads all of the current menus, loads the acad.mns, loads my yyy.mnu (so that it will write a new yyy.mns file), unloads the yyy.mnu, loads the yyy.mns (newly written from the yyy.mnu) file and then it puts the menu headings in the proper order. Well, it really does not work because it does not understand where the acad.mns is because I told the support search path to look for my yyy.mnu menu instead. The weird thing is that if I do to the command line, set filedia to 0, type in menuload <enter> acad.mns, it works, but in my lisp, it says that it was loaded successfully, but it actually did not load. Weird.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how they deal with their seperate menu functions?? Thanks for your patience

sashk, Aug 5, 2003
  2. sashk

Rudy Tovar Guest

There are plenty of examples and explinations on menu dilemas post here in
    the group.

I, as well as others have covered this fully.

I currently don't have the time to do a search, but scan or review prior
    post regarding menu issues.

--
    Rodolfo Tovar
    www.Cadentity.com
    AUTODESK
    Authorized Developer
    MASi
    (Modulated Architectural Symbols Innovated)
    Version 2.01
    6 yrs Time Tested and it Works....
    Coming Soon.....

and loaded that (well, we load the .mns file). Our old cad manager did that
    so I carried on the tradition.
    So, I created our own menu structure. We'll call it yyy.mnu
    menu location in the documents and settings folder. Again, I want to keep
    cad as simple as it is and make our custom stuff secondary.
    our startup stuff and also sets some variables. At the end of the function,
    it have a (menucmd "p0=xxxxx) (menucmd "p0=*) function that pops up a menu
    from my yyy.mnu (its a box that tells the user to select a drawing scale),
    but instead, it actually pops up the ***pop0 (object snap menu) from the
    acad.mnu instead of the pop up box from my yyy.mnu file. The funny thing is
    that what is supposed to pop up in my yyy.mnu is not even named anything
    close to the p0 in my yyy.mnu. Also, my images in my blocks menu does not
    show up either. The slide library is in my support file search path too!
    to the location of where my yyy.mnu is (rather than where the acad.mnu
    is)located, then it seems to work. But, again, I'm playing around with
    vanilla cad and I really hate to do that. I want to keep it as simple as I
    can.
    whenever I update my menus. What it does is it unloads all of the current
    menus, loads the acad.mns, loads my yyy.mnu (so that it will write a new
    yyy.mns file), unloads the yyy.mnu, loads the yyy.mns (newly written from
    the yyy.mnu) file and then it puts the menu headings in the proper order.
    Well, it really does not work because it does not understand where the
    acad.mns is because I told the support search path to look for my yyy.mnu
    menu instead. The weird thing is that if I do to the command line, set
    filedia to 0, type in menuload <enter> acad.mns, it works, but in my lisp,
    it says that it was loaded successfully, but it actually did not load.
    Weird.
    functions?? Thanks for your patience

Rudy Tovar, Aug 5, 2003
  3. You have confused me but that is ok.

&nbsp;

I do not change the standard Acad Menu and use it from where ever AutoCAD installs it.

&nbsp;

I have set up a profile that uses the Acad Menu with all the standard Acad paths set. I then add my custom menu paths, and then menuload my custom menu. Save the profile and make sure you export it.

&nbsp;

Now to change the custom menu, I have another profile set up that is based on my custom menu being set as the base menu complete with the proper paths to support it. Make sure you save the profile and export it.

&nbsp;

Now when I want to edit my custom menu, I simply change my profile to custommenuprofile. Make the changes, reload the mnu to recompile it and then change my profile to the Acad-custommenu profile. This loads the acad menu as base and then loads the newly recompiled custom menu with menuload. All the paths for Acad menu are set as well as the paths for the custom menu.

&nbsp;

I hope I haven't confused you, but this is how I do it.

&nbsp;

Dave Alexander

&nbsp;

"sashk" &lt;&gt; wrote in message news:...

Hello All....this may be a long explanation but I really need help.

We have autocad 2004. Currently, we are on 2000i.
    In the past, we took our custom menus and pasted it into the acad.mnu file and loaded that (well, we load the .mns file). Our old cad manager did that so I carried on the tradition.

I decided to seperate our menu and leave the standard "vanilla cad" alone. So, I created our own menu structure. We'll call it yyy.mnu

In the support file search path, under the menu, help, etc, I left the menu location in the documents and settings folder. Again, I want to keep cad as simple as it is and make our custom stuff secondary.

Now, we are getting to the dilema. I have a acaddoc.lsp file that defines our startup stuff and also sets some variables. At the end of the function, it have a (menucmd "p0=xxxxx) (menucmd "p0=*) function that pops up a menu from my yyy.mnu (its a box that tells the user to select a drawing scale), but instead, it actually pops up the ***pop0 (object snap menu) from the acad.mnu instead of the pop up box from my yyy.mnu file. The funny thing is that what is supposed to pop up in my yyy.mnu is not even named anything close to the p0 in my yyy.mnu. Also, my images in my blocks menu does not show up either. The slide library is in my support file search path too!

Now, if I go back to the options dialogue box and change the menu location to the location of where my yyy.mnu is (rather than where the acad.mnu is)located, then it seems to work. But, again, I'm playing around with vanilla cad and I really hate to do that. I want to keep it as simple as I can.

Now, the last issue. I have a lisp routine that I wrote and I use it whenever I update my menus. What it does is it unloads all of the current menus, loads the acad.mns, loads my yyy.mnu (so that it will write a new yyy.mns file), unloads the yyy.mnu, loads the yyy.mns (newly written from the yyy.mnu) file and then it puts the menu headings in the proper order. Well, it really does not work because it does not understand where the acad.mns is because I told the support search path to look for my yyy.mnu menu instead. The weird thing is that if I do to the command line, set filedia to 0, type in menuload &lt;enter&gt; acad.mns, it works, but in my lisp, it says that it was loaded successfully, but it actually did not load. Weird.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how they deal with their seperate menu functions?? Thanks for your patience

Dave Alexander, Aug 5, 2003
Ask a Question