3M double-sided tape

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by Janes, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Janes

Janes Guest

Setting up a model shop, hell, I wish I was saddled with such a
    "bummer" project.

Sounds good, doesn't it. Dream job, really.... if you have management support. If you're not fighting them constantly, every time they doubt your competence, every grand that's spent, with no plan, no vision, no budget. The CNC arrived on the loading dock, Jan '07, in time to get accounting another line item of capital expenditure for '07. But, it was almost 6 mos before management decided where to put it and to "make ready". That's just the tip of the iceberg. "The rest of the story" would take volumes that a better man would have quit over. And I've basically given up a design career for this horse manure. Yeah, it's been loads of fun. Hey, it's in Sunny San Diego... I'll send them your Resume (maybe make a couple grand for a referral). My boss keeps saying they're going to hire somebody to do the job. Yeah, sure, once I get them to the place where they can hire a cheap, button pushing zombie. No, forget sending the Resume, you're WAY overqualified.

I've never used an Oi-MC, but I've had good luck
    with an O-M C just using a default Pro/E post, #12 I think...

I am about to revisit the post processor question. I'll take a look at the output of #12. I know what code I'm looking for. Ideally, I'd be making my own with G-post. Any experience with this? Pointers?

This says heat on an electric hot plate or griddle. How do you heat
    yours? The safety committee would probably be less concerned with a
    heat gun than a hot plate."

I clean both parts, roll out some of the sheet and sandwich it between
    my material and the REN, I then heat the material with a propane torch
    (moving quickly) until the adhesive melts (under 200F) then I set a
    weight on it until it cools. Your safety committee probably wouldn't
    like that too much...

I used to do the sandwiching but also applied Kant-Twist clamp. This was especially useful with tape. You could see the effect through Lexan. I think I'm gonna try a Milwaukee heat gun on the Mitee-Grip: no explosion hazard, no cylinders to go empty, better temp control. Although, yeah, I really do like fire! And the little pop it makes when you light it.

The ability to remove something thin without bending it is nice. Down
    sides are the goop is too thick for extremely tight thickness control
    in Z, the bond strength isn't that high, and it can leave a residue
    that needs to be removed (don't try to remove it in a tumbler, mucks
    up the media).

But Z depths are probably good enough for prototypes. And they are machine accurate from one depth to another on the same operation.

When using an aluminum sacrificial table surface I clean the part with
    a coolant damp towel, and I clean the fixture with acetone. The glue
    stays on the fixture, the part usually stays clean. When using REN, I
    skim it dry and blow it off with air. Again, the glue favors the fresh
    REN.
    This is all good stuff.

¡Muchas gracias, Señor!

David Janes

Janes, Jan 13, 2009
  2. Janes

Janes Guest

442KW 6312 - 0085 OPR#042 - that's the number on a couple of rolls of 3M
    double-sided tape bought from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

David Janes

Well, Mike, we tried those numbers, didn't check out. Can you ask the guy that orders the stuff?

Much appreciated,
    David Janes

Janes, Jan 17, 2009
  3. Janes

Cliff Guest

Tried calling 3M & asking what they suggest?

Cliff, Jan 17, 2009
  4. Janes

Janes Guest

I've used tape before to hold stock to a fixturing plate, so I know this method works for holding raw stock. What I don't know is any of the technical specs. These were based on holding plate to plate, aluminum plate base holding a variety of materials, mostly aluminum, but also ABS, Delrin, REN, Polycarbonate, and the like, no steel, so no exotic alloys. I did all this with strips of 1" wide double sided tape, sometimes full coverage, sometimes half. What I have no idea of is which, of the hundreds of such tapes 3M sells, would be adequate for my purposes. Also, coolant's involved, esp for aluminum. Anyone use such a tape? I'm on a number hunt. ENGINEERING! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS. It's our daily bread, the bed we lie on, the air we breathe, the car we drive in, the food we eat, the house we live in, the products we buy.

David Janes
    Thanks to all who participated including those skeptical of workholding with tape/glue/wax/etc. Your help and encouragement are invaluable.

¡Muchas gracias, Compañeros!
    David Janes

Janes, Jan 23, 2009
Ask a Question