shrinkwrap

Discussion in 'Pro/Engineer & Creo Elements/Pro' started by Rudi Schneider, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Hello,

I want to convert an assembly to a shrinkwrap. The problem: The
    amount of data is at least 10 times more in comparison with the
    generic.
    We have chosen a quality level of 3 (from 1 to 10). Additionally the
    value of mass is incorrect (much to much).
    Can anybody help me?

Rudi

Rudi Schneider, Aug 12, 2003
  2. Rudi Schneider

David Janes Guest

: Hello,
    :
    : I want to convert an assembly to a shrinkwrap. The problem: The
    : amount of data is at least 10 times more in comparison with the
    : generic. We have chosen a quality level of 3 (from 1 to 10).

In comparison with generic what? The entire directory of assembly/parts or just
    the assembly? First, the shrinkwrap model will be larger than the assembly which
    is only some a set of assembly instructions with model data retained separately.
    You must compare shrinkwrap model size to the size of all files in the directory ~
    assembly and all parts. Merged solid is probably the smallest or close to the
    smallest in size. Even with quality set at 7-8, this model should be less than
    half the directory size.

: Additionally the value of mass is incorrect (much to much).

Are you sure the value of the assembly's mass is correct to begin with: this needs
    checking as various problems with units can produce strange results in mass prop
    calculations; inconsistently setting units between parts or between parts and
    assemblies can throw off this calculation; density value in an assigned material
    should be verified before basing calculations on them, especially since units are
    missing from material definition tables. This is all the more important since you
    are asked for a density value when creating the shrinkwrap model. If this is
    different from the value provided in the assigned material tables, you immediately
    have a source of difference between assembly and shrinkwrap mass properties. As an
    additional check, make sure that volume calculations for both are in the ballpark.
    I had always thought that auto hole filling, a shrinkwrap creation option, could
    create overlapping volumes but I've never experimented to check it out because I
    was never concerned with shrinkwrap model mass props. Also, if you have an
    assembly with parts containing vastly different materials and densities, the
    assembly mass prop could be lighter than the single merged solid density you
    provide at creation.

Some things to consider.

David Janes

David Janes, Aug 13, 2003
Ask a Question