CAD Forums


Reply
 
mbiasotti@solidworks.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2007
If you or your company is involved in 3D modeling, idea sketching,
product rendering, styling, sketch modeling or ergonomic of product
design then we would like to hear from you. Our goal with the survey
is to understand the no. of design engineers who also have needs for
industrial design software. This brief, 6-question survey should take
no more than 5 minutes for you to complete.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=75843573585

SolidWorks Management

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Life in Mono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2007

> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=75843573585


Thanks Mark - good to have the opportunity to voice opinions - Only
hope they are listened to.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bob zee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-08-2007

http://www.thecadforums.com/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>
> SolidWorks Management



MicroSoft is dead.

http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html

bob z.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-08-2007
On Apr 7, 5:36 pm, "bob zee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > SolidWorks Management

>
> MicroSoft is dead.
>
> http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
>
> bob z.


I wouldn't dare say that myself as I would be flamed and for a long
time people would simply ignore anything I said.

But I will say, instead, that Microsoft dug its own literal grave by
trying to supply an OS for everything & be everything to every partner
or promoter in putting in ill-conceived features and security holes
that are still blasting users up to this very week with the cursor
exploit.

Writing everything and trying to control everything with their own
proprietary software and attempting to keep everyone away from all the
family jewels simply has not worked, much as the king on the hill
challenged virtually everyone else to try to do him in. In the end,
all you have to do to get the king of the mountain is to starve him
out, or simply go around him.

Bill Gates & Steve Ballmer have served too long, and have lost their
sense of what users are doing and going through with MS PCs. I doubt
they really understand some of the problems they have created for
their users. I can guarantee Ballmer doesn't install and maintain his
own PC. He is too arrogant.

I finally told family and business associates I am not going o fix
Windows problems anymore. I've told them to get a MacMini for $599
and hook up the existing LCD to it and GO TO TOWN, and I can help with
that and so can the Apple Stores people at the "Genius Bar". Apple
even offers one on one training under their ProCare program.

Personal electronic devices had better be damn near trouble free for
the average user. Steve Jobs realized that a long time back and most
of us users have similarly realized it with the devices we have had
that we couldn't figure out how to use properly (if they were usable).

Bo

 
Reply With Quote
 
Cliff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-08-2007
On 7 Apr 2007 20:17:41 -0700, "Bo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>But I will say, instead, that Microsoft dug its own literal grave by
>trying to supply an OS for everything & be everything to every partner
>or promoter in putting in ill-conceived features and security holes
>that are still blasting users up to this very week with the cursor
>exploit.


Fixed it looks like:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms05-002.mspx

Also note:
[
Non-Affected Software:

• Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
]
--
Cliff
 
Reply With Quote
 
bill allemann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-08-2007
I've never had a mac, and I was curious about something.
Is the Mac OS inherently less vulnerable to hackers, or is is simply that
the smaller market
share made it less of a target for hackers?

thanks,
bill


"Bo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Apr 7, 5:36 pm, "bob zee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> > SolidWorks Management

>>
>> MicroSoft is dead.
>>
>> http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
>>
>> bob z.

>
> I finally told family and business associates I am not going o fix
> Windows problems anymore. I've told them to get a MacMini for $599
> and hook up the existing LCD to it and GO TO TOWN, and I can help with
> that and so can the Apple Stores people at the "Genius Bar". Apple
> even offers one on one training under their ProCare program.
>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-08-2007
On Apr 8, 7:09 am, "bill allemann" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I've never had a mac, and I was curious about something.
> Is the Mac OS inherently less vulnerable to hackers, or is is simply that
> the smaller market
> share made it less of a target for hackers?
>
> thanks,
> bill


The short answer is "Yes.", UNIX/Linux/Mac OS X are safer from mass
market attacks. But that is only for the general strain of virus
writers who want to sell mass market tools to attack Microsoft OSs.

There are particular governments & corporations looking for ways to
put in "back doors" on computers to steal other company's secrets, and
they will try their best to develop those tools regardless of the OS &
the time and cost to do it. The viruses serious spies create will try
to be so "silent" that their presence and activity is entirely hidden
if possible. Sony root kits anyone?

The only "100% Virus Secure" computer is one which is not on a
network. But those computers are still subject to various ploys by
people "on the inside".

Bo


 
Reply With Quote
 
Cliff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-09-2007
On 8 Apr 2007 10:34:34 -0700, "Bo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The only "100% Virus Secure" computer is one which is not on a
>network.


With no floppy or tape drive. And a locked box & ports.
Many places only the sysadmins are allowed portable
tape drives .... anyone else found to have one on the
premises gets fired on the spot.

Then there are higher security levels, such as TEMPEST.
http://www.fas.org/irp/program/security/tempest.htm
--
Cliff
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2007
On Apr 8, 10:34 am, "Bo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 7:09 am, "bill allemann" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > I've never had a mac, and I was curious about something.
> > Is the Mac OS inherently less vulnerable to hackers, or is is simply that
> > the smaller market
> > share made it less of a target for hackers?

>
> > thanks,
> > bill


The LONG answer is noted in the following article with the point that
the basic underlieing structure and methods of programming are far
better at eliminating holes in software in the first place.

http://weblog.infoworld.com/venezia/...es/011187.html

Bo


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PhotoView 360 Survey markbiasotti@gmail.com SolidWorks 5 10-02-2008 01:35 PM
2d topo survey to 3d Joe Fennel AutoCAD 2 08-19-2007 12:59 PM
Survey: Who reads help? P. SolidWorks 7 11-19-2004 08:21 PM
SKILL Survey Simon S. IBM Cadence 1 05-11-2004 09:19 AM
Informal Survey Eddy Hicks SolidWorks 19 11-18-2003 03:24 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:23 PM.