CAD Forums

CAD Forums (http://www.thecadforums.com/)
-   AutoCAD Customization (http://www.thecadforums.com/autocad-customization/)
-   -   Explode Command (http://www.thecadforums.com/autocad-customization/27656-explode-command.html)

sashk 06-25-2004 04:48 PM

Explode Command
 
Hello,

I hate it when people explode hatches in my office. Is there a way so that when people go to explode a hatch, it will filter it out.

How can I write an explode routine that will ask you "are you sure you want to explode hatches" before doing so.

I wouldn't mind if when a bunch of stuff was selected, say plines, hatches, what have you, that when the user was done selecting, it would say "X amount of hatchs selected, do you want to explode them?" and if the user said "N" it will continue to explode the non-hatch enities, and if they said "Y", it will explode all.
Thanks

coachball8 06-25-2004 04:57 PM

Re: Explode Command
 
You redefine the explode command. Check out this tutorial on the Afralisp website:
http://www.afralisp.com/lispa/lisp46.htm

Paul Turvill 06-25-2004 05:12 PM

Re: Explode Command
 
First time, a warning. Second time, pink slip.
___

"sashk" <nospam@address.withheld> wrote in message
news:8141771.1088182133558.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum 2...
>
> I hate it when people explode hatches in my office.




Tom Smith 06-25-2004 05:54 PM

Re: Explode Command
 
I tend to favor Paul's view. It's a personnel/training/standards issue. If
there is an office rule or standard, there should be a process of checking
for compliance, and enforcing it, without requiring more programming work.

If there isn't a standard, then it's just an issue of your preference versus
theirs. Yours may make more sense, but unless you have the authority to
enforce it, you are just another person arguing. In that case, it isn't
legitimate for you to force your preferences by a "sneaky" method. It will
only cause more argument.

IMHO, CAD customizations should focus mostly on helping cooperative people
to meet standards more easily and efficiently.



Rudy Tovar 06-25-2004 06:12 PM

Re: Explode Command
 
So what happens if a principle does it....

Although I like your idea...

"Paul Turvill" <nospam@turvill.com> wrote in message
news:40dc5ce1_2@newsprd01...
> First time, a warning. Second time, pink slip.
> ___
>
> "sashk" <nospam@address.withheld> wrote in message
> news:8141771.1088182133558.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum 2...
> >
> > I hate it when people explode hatches in my office.

>
>




sashk 06-25-2004 06:35 PM

Re: Explode Command
 
I saw the routine, but I have 2 questions.

1. If the "EXPLODE" command was undefined, how, in the routine, did the explode command work if it was already undefined? I see that the new command was called explode, but within the new command that they called "explode" there is the acad version of explode and this is what confuses me

2. How do I add hatches and dimensions to the list of objects not to be exploded because they mentioned specific block names, and not object types in this routine.

Thanks

Tom Smith 06-25-2004 08:00 PM

Re: Explode Command
 
>So what happens if a principle does it....

Then you can only try gentle persuasion & if that fails you sorta have to
just get over it :-)

Usually when people explode hatches it's because they don't know a better
way to make an edit. And they don't understand that they're probably costing
more time, when someone else needs to work in the file later.

A principal ought to be responsive to the time-saving argument. Generally
the better option is to erase and re-do the hatch due to a change in the
drawing, as opposed to exploding and manually editing the hatch. It's not
hard to show that the first method is usually faster and easier.



Rudy Tovar 06-25-2004 08:19 PM

Re: Explode Command
 
ha...

"Tom Smith" <bryanthomassmith@cs.com> wrote in message
news:40dc8417_3@newsprd01...
> >So what happens if a principle does it....

>
> Then you can only try gentle persuasion & if that fails you sorta have to
> just get over it :-)
>
> Usually when people explode hatches it's because they don't know a better
> way to make an edit. And they don't understand that they're probably

costing
> more time, when someone else needs to work in the file later.
>
> A principal ought to be responsive to the time-saving argument. Generally
> the better option is to erase and re-do the hatch due to a change in the
> drawing, as opposed to exploding and manually editing the hatch. It's not
> hard to show that the first method is usually faster and easier.
>
>




Tom Smith 06-25-2004 08:39 PM

Re: Explode Command
 
>ha...

It's not uncommon for the most senior people to be the least CAD proficient.
:-) We used to try the steer the boss toward the more glamorous front-end
"design" work, which somebody else was going to re-do substantially anyway
to turn it into CD's. Kept him busy enough with that to keep him mostly out
of the real CD's.



sashk 06-25-2004 08:45 PM

Re: Explode Command
 
okay, I got it to somewhat work for my blocks, but how do I add the following to the code?

1. Hatches - All of the selected hatches

2. Dimensions

3. I do not want it to just allow me to select one object, but allow me to select whatever I want, and then allow for it to see if the list of blocks was added, along with and dimension string or hatch. If it finds X amount of objects, I want it to alert me that "X amount of objects not allowed to be exploded"

Help. Attached is the code


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.